1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved No WiFi connection to one app only

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Warsawrose, Nov 11, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Warsawrose

Warsawrose Thread Starter

Hi
    I have an iPad mini 2, version 12.4.3. My issue is that I have an app, Cross Stitch World, that no longer connects to my WiFi. I also have the app on my phone, a Samsung Galaxy, that it will not connect either, but I prefer to play it on my iPad because of the bigger screen. As long as I use my mobile data on my phone, it connects and when I use my friends hot spot on his phone...the app will connect on my iPad. So the app is not connecting to my WiFi only.
    I use this app daily and have been for three years. It just quit connecting to my WiFi last week.
    I've contacted the app developers several times, and they are saying that only 15 other people have told them about this problem, and it's something out of there control.
    I have contacted my WiFi provider several times and they have rebooted and reconfigured my WiFi, and still no connection. All the other apps on my iPad are connecting just fine.
    I even uninstalled and reinstalled the app...and still no connection. The app just had an update today...still no connection.
    My internet provider said that it was probably an IP Address issue? That I would need to chance my IP Address? If I did change the IP Address, would that be the routers Address or the devices address? And then how do i find a new address to change it to?
    I would definitely appriciated some feed back and resolution on this matter.
    Thanks so much,
    Lisa

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Are you able to connect to any other wireless connections of the same internet service, like a friend/neighbour/relative? If you can, and it still doesn't work, but works on other providers internet (wireless or data on mobile) then it would look like an issue with the internet service.

3. Warsawrose

Hi...
    Thanks for answering! I haven't tried another WiFi...but it does connect when I use my friends moble devise hot spot...on his moble devises network. Will changing the ip address make a difference? My internet provider said I would have to change either my devises ip address or the routers ip address...im not sure which one...thanks

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Probably the router IP but that is on the ISP side. To confirm:

You cannot connect on your home wireless connection with an iPad
    You cannot connect on your home wireless connection with a Galaxy Phone

You can connect to the app on your data connection on your Galaxy Phone
    You can connect to the app on your friend's hotspot/data connection.

You have completed a factory reset of the wireless modem? (I assume you have since you mentioned calling your provider and restarting the modem and reconfiguring it)

At this point, it would either your ISP blocking the port for the game, or your ISP is being blocked (blacklisted) by the game server. This would be confirmed if you are able to connect to a wireless connection (not data connection/hotspot) on the same internet provider and you are still unable to connect to the game.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  5. Warsawrose

Hi! Thank you for your response.
    All your facts are correct...
    I called my ISP this morning and they have done everything they can to figure out this problem...including reconfiguring my WiFi and changing the routers IP address...i still cannot connect...
    They suggested I upgrade my service to a higher speed...lol! I live so rural...that a higherspeed is not optional...so I guess I'm just out of luck...
    Thanks

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Yeah... speed has nothing to do with it. It's a connection issue... the question is, who is blocking it, the ISP or the game server. I did attempt to reach out to the developer... hopefully they may have some answers.

7. Warsawrose

Hi! Thanks so much! Maybe you will get results! Really appreciate this!

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Here is their response:

Hello! I am trying to help someone that can't seem to connect to the game from their home internet. Do you know by chance if the server uses a blacklist to prevent certain people from connecting?

[​IMG]

Hi James, thanks for your message. We will get back to you as soon as we can. For now you can view our FAQ at https://www.inertiasoftware.com/wordpress/cross-stitch-world-faq/.

04:04
    [​IMG]

Hi James, our server does not use a blacklist, but it is possible for internet providers to block access to sites which can cause connection issues. Unfortunately this is something we do not have control over.

08:37

OK. I figured as much since the game is not like a MMO where people cheat so they would be blocked. Since the user can use their data plan (not ideal) with no issues, I too believe it's on the ISP side. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

9. Warsawrose

Wow...I guess I will try contacting my ISP again....and show them this response.
    I will ask them the same question that you asked the App developer about black listing...My internet service is Centurylink...
    Again, Thanks so much! Your awesome!

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Last ditch would be to do a trace to the server from a PC/Mac machine (not tablets) but we would need that information in order to see where the block is happening.

Hope you get a little more info from the ISP, though if you are the only one with this issue (i.e. no one else has called in) then more than likely they will not do anything as it is 'low impacting'.

Perhaps if you are able to test this out on another centurylink customer's wifi (family/friend/neighbour) and doesn't work, maybe they will do something because they can't claim that your device is the issue if you can confirm (which we did) that you can access it on your mobile hotspot and/or another provider's network and you cannot connect on 2 different centurylink's connections.

Warsawrose likes this.
  11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    out of curiosity, can you get to their FB site (click on their icon in my post) and play it via the browser and not the app?

12. Warsawrose

1F61BA25-811B-4965-9FDC-5A915C139EC8.jpeg

13. Warsawrose

This is my response from my ISP...

Attached Files:

14. Warsawrose

No...still does not connect...

15. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    If you have already stated that you can connect on your mobile hotspot and not your CL connection to them, then ask for a senior technician or a supervisor because the issue is not on the game server side. We have confirmed that the support team states they do not have a blacklist.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235554

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice