1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Windows 7 Updates?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by lafnirvana, Feb 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lafnirvana

lafnirvana Thread Starter

The last successful Windows 7 updates occurred for me on 1/16. Since then every time I check for updates, it comes back no updates found.

I had my PC set to manually check for updates. I thought that might be a problem. So I just switched to automatic updates-set to 1PM everyday (at 12:30 today) so I could see if any new updates showed up via auto check today. It's 2:30 my time now and still no new updates.

Now maybe there really have been no new updates, but 3 weeks is a long time to go without MS issuing at least a few new updates. Can anyone tell me if there have been new Windows 7 updates issued since 1/13. And if there have been, why can't I get those updates to be recognized and loaded on to my PC?

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

It appears to me that the problem may well be that this section (in quotes) of one of your posts on your previous topic
    http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/1140258-179-updates.html

appears to have been missed.

I suspect the problem is the hard drive. I would NOT be surprised to find it is failing.

Run a chkdsk /r

on the C drive by going to a cmd prompt with admin rights - that is windows button - all programs - accessories- command prompt - RIGHT click that entry and click run as admin.
    When it opens, check it is at a C:\ etc. and type

chkdsk /r

press enter and agree to run on restart
    when you post back we will get the results of the check.
    If you watch it and it is five stages
    look for the report regarding
    bad sectors and see if it lists - so many bad sectors

If you miss it - do not worry we will as I say get the results later

3. lafnirvana

when I type in "chkdsk/r" I get the message-Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges. You have to invoke this utility running in an elevated mode.

4. lafnirvana

I got a response from another tech forum that updates are only put out the second Tuesday of every month. For some reason I thought it was every Tuesday. So I guess I'll wait til next Tuesday to see if new updates show up.

5. Macboatmaster

You must do as you wish
    However it is important to note that:
    Presumably the other tech forum does not have the benefit of knowing that - you receive the message regarding the disk needs checking.

The reason you have that response regarding lack of sufficient privileges is because you have not opened the cmd prompt with admin rights
    please see my post as to how to open the prompt

When you have it right the command prompt window will be headed

Administrator command prompt

6. Macboatmaster

I thought I would post a little more of an explanation
    I have no idea which other forum it is and I do not need to know - but please be assured that any advisor or helper on any site worth visiting who was aware of the details I have posted regarding the message you received - re the disk needed checking - would recommend a chkdsk.

That is the most certainly what you need to do.
    Only when we have the results of that is it possible to decide the way forward

7. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I'll second that!

8. valis

valis Moderator

and I'll carry it.

9. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    That's correct.

"Patch Tuesday" occurs on the 2nd Tuesday of every month and is when Microsoft releases a new round of updates.

The last "Patch Tuesday" was on January 13th.

The next "Patch Tuesday" will be on February 10th.

----------------------------------------------------------

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142481

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice