1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Windows Index Experience rating, other problems...

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Tha*Lunat!k, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tha*Lunat!k

Tha*Lunat!k Thread Starter

I came home yesterday to find that Vista Ultimate had gone into hybrid sleep as it usually does, but I was unable to revive it. The hard drive activity light appeared to blink occasionally when I'd push buttons, as if it was working, but the monitor never came out of power save mode.

I hard rebooted and continued using the computer as normal, didn't think much of it. After a while I played some Dreamfall, and 10 minutes in the game appeared to lock up, though music continued playing and the hard drive activity light would sometimes light up like the computer was doing stuff in the background. No other game sound effects proceeded however (such as combat sounds).

Hard rebooted again and figured I'd check some things, and now find that I cannot access the Software Licensing Manager as I receive this error after entering slmgr -dlv in the command line:

[​IMG]

I then went to Properties for Computer and under the System section it shows my Windows Index Rating (or whatever that's called, I'm not at the computer now) as a blank line, while the Processor and Memory both say Unknown. Previously these had my information and rating within them.

I attempted to use the Performance utility to re-run my Index score (it's 4.5 last I checked) and it now either turns the monitor to power-save mode halfway through the scan, or it just reboots the computer at that same point instead. When the monitor goes to power-save the computer is still on, I can tell since the activity light will blink and if I push the power button on the case Windows will shut down normally after it goes through a normal shutdown procedure (of course I can't see it happening, but it gets it done).

And now I don't know if this is related, but about four days ago (prior to the above problems) my network connectivity icon has been showing a red X persistently. Hovering over it shows "Network connection status: unknown" and "Server execution failed." Internet and all other network activities work fine, so I don't know why it says this, but I also am not the type to like it doing that for apparently no reason when it wasn't doing it before.

Any ideas on these issues? Since it only happened after work yesterday I haven't had chance to run some more games and see if they continue exhibiting problems, but I will be giving that a shot in a few hours when I am home again.

Any feedback is appreciated!

2. oliver.d

oliver.d

Sounds like you corrupted something when you hard rebooted. Perhaps you could repair your vista installation using the vista dvd.

3. Tha*Lunat!k

It's possible, though I've had times before where it'd be in hybrid sleep and refuse to start up again so I just pushed reset on the case and it'd boot up and return to the Locked screen, whereby I could just log in as if nothing happened.

I read somewhere randomly that the VBScript error I got was a result of "Software Licensing Services being disabled" but can find no reference to this on the Internet or any way to "turn it on" (if it's indeed "off").

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Some people have reported the sleep issue with an ATI video card, is yours an ATI?

5. oliver.d

oliver.d

Right. Perhaps the software licensing service has been stopped from starting for some reason. Try this: Start -> Run -> services.msc -> Look for SL UI Notification Services and ensure it is set to automatic and is started.

The error itself is referring to the software licensing manager - there are a few quirks with this.

6. Tha*Lunat!k

Thanks, I'll give that a try when I get home. Any ideas what could have caused it to turn off? And what exactly does it do for me anyhow?

And in reply to Triple6, I have an NVIDIA card. I found when it does the lockup returning from hybrid sleep it is almost always when I had my newsreader downloading from usenet at the time that the computer went to sleep. Thankfully Vista just restarts and acts like it never had a problem when this was the case, however. Unfortunately this recent problem is a bit more strange and problematic.

7. oliver.d

oliver.d

I'm not sure what would turn it off, cold boot downs can cause all kinds of quirks on a system. The service itself could be damaged, and may not work properly. If it fails, I would suggest a repair of the OS.

8. Tha*Lunat!k

Looks like the service was already enabled, so no go there. Google searches of my issues indicate others with the same problems as me, surprisingly enough they all experience the same symptoms: Server execution failure on the network icon, cannot use System Info utility, sound device randomly acts as though it has no drivers. Something to do with WMI, whatever that is. Everywhere I would turn Windows would tell me that Windows Management Instrument or something was not functioning.

9. Tehgame

Tehgame

I'm having the exact same issue. Except my SLMGR works but I don't know what to do with that.

My problems are the network thing and sound.

10. MilkyTech

MilkyTech

I was having the same issue and starting the SL UI Notification Service along with the Network List Service (which were both off and set to Manual)
    seemed to fix most of the issues I am having. The Network and Sharing Center opens and the Network Connectivity Icon shows the connection,
    however, my System Properties are still showing unavailable.
    any idea why?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542126

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice