1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Windows intro tune, sound issue?????

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by PUG, Jan 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PUG

PUG Thread Starter

Am yet to hear the Windows intro tune????????????????

If I go to Control panels/Sounds and Multimedia Properties and try to play a Sound Event I get,

Error Windows cannot play the sound chord.wav. your sound card may be in use.

If I try to play an MP3 in Media Jukebox I get a message that says,

Error Starting Playback.....there was and error starting the playback engine.
    Make sure that your system has a valid sound playback device and that it is
    not locked by another program.Tried other players to no availe.

Mp3s do play in Media player (just tried and worked after not working prev)

After running DXDIAG an error imediately appeared

DxDiag Error Error: Problem getting extra sound info, result code = 0x88978000a (The request failed
    because DirectSound resources, such as the priority level, were already in use by another caller..)

After pressing OK however all tests seemed to work.

I have a 1st Mainboard AN17 onboard sound unit.

I also have a Leadtec TV tuner/video card.Wondered if that was hogging anything.

Any help would be great.

2. MacDknife

MacDknife

Hi!
    All Window sounds are normally .wav files. Can you play any .wav files at all? These errors could be caused by the TV-card, or an IRQ conflict, a driver problem ( motherboard or soundcard) or with a bit of bad luck, a hardware problem. As you can play MP3's, I presume that it is at least activated in the system configuration. I would therefore first remove the TV-card and it's drivers (Device Manager). Check that I have the latest drivers to my motherboard and soundcard ( these could be included with the motherboard drivers.) If you already have these, check that everything is normal with the activated sound in the system configuration. Remove the soundcard (Device Manager). Re-install all drivers (motherboard+soundcard) You may have to restart and let the OS "find" the soundcard again. Check if you can play .midi, .wav and MP3 file formats. If everything is working, re-install the TV-/video card ( presuming you are using the lastest drivers ) and check it all again.

Good Luck!
    MacDknife

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115500

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice