No Windows Networking

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

twisted_by_you

Currently working on a laptop. The user cannot grab anything off the network currently. I can ping his IP no problem. I however cannot ping his computer name. All of the DNS settings, computer name and workgroup all seem to be okay. He is on a Windows 98 machine. Is there anything out there that can help me?

What is the name on the network? Perhaps it's an illegal name or a duplicate. What is your WINS server looking like if you have one? Look at your host or lmhost file on the computer and add the computer name and IP address in it.

twisted_by_you

the name is 'massachusetts' and the ip is a simple IP. 192.168.8.x

where is the imhost file? does it have an extension and where would i add those lines?

Is the subnet mask the same as the other PC's and what subnet address are you using?? The file name is Lmhost.sam and can be edited with notepad. There are instructions within the file on how to use it.

What does the rest of the network consist of? What other operating systems and hardware are involved.

twisted_by_you

Lots of WYSE Winterms because we use Citrix, but the PC's and Laptops we do have normally do not have a problem.

We have Windows 95, 98, and 2000 all mixed around. The operating system on this particular laptop is 98.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online