1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No wireles security key prompt after system restore

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Gjack, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gjack

Gjack Thread Starter

I recently restored my laptop to its previous windows 7 settings. Apon restoration my wireless network, provided by att uverse, will not prompt me to type in the security key to access it. I can access the internet throught LAN. Other wireless networks in range will prompt me for a key. So i want to know how to access my wireless network. Or how to get my computer to provide a place to type in the security key.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

Are you saying that you can successfully connect to your wireless network but do not need a key to do so or that your computer can not even find it to try to connect to it?

In the first case, have you used your wired connection to the wireless router to confirm that wireless encryption is enabled?

In the second case, have you used your wired connection to the wireless router to confirm that the wireless access point is actually enabled in the wireless router? If it is enabled, is it also set to broadcast its unique SSID? If broadcasting of the SSID is disabled, you can either enable it on the router or you will need to manually set up the wireless connection on the computer.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970115

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice