1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Wireless Connection (Dell)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by John O, Oct 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. John O

John O Thread Starter

My laptop which is 10 months old (DELL) was working fine yesterday. Today I have no wireless connection. I spent 45 minutes on the phone with my provider and everything is ok on their end. I might add that I have a desktop within inches of the router. ALso have another laptop in the kitchen my wife uses. This lap and the desktop worked fine.

I then spent 45 minutes getting bounced around at Dell (whew!) They determined that my internal wireless card was ok since I had a green "WIFI" lite glowing on my keepboard. They then proceeded to spend an enourmous amount of time trying to sell me a software support contract for $239 so that they could diagnose over the phone. I am really stressing our over this. Too old (65) for this s---!

Does anyone know why my new (less than one year) laptop would suddenly not recognize my internet server. I ran the repair function and nothing happened. What can they do over the phone for $239 that I couldn't do with some help from the nice folks at Tech SUpport?

Thanks!

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

When you right click the wireless network icon in the lower right hand of the screen and select "View available networks" what happens? . .

Are you double dog sure the wireless router ( or access point ) is working?

3. pedroguy

pedroguy

John:probably be good to know:
    Make and model of modem and router.Who is your ISP(cable/dsl)Operating system and level.

Also be good to post up ipconfig /all from working pc and one from no working pc.Will be good info for the techs here to have for further anaysis.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The information pedroguy asked for would be good to know.

One thing you could try is a System Restore to before the problem started.

A second thing, if your network is secured, is to disable encryption on the router, and then connect. Assuming success then re-enable encryption and reconnect.

Dell's web site is very good for support; but I've never been impressed with their email tech support and never stayed on hold long enough to talk with them.

To post that ipconfig requested by pedroguy ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

5. bmxmann

bmxmann

You didnt mention if you could see any networks... but I know on my school laptop that was a dell, you could hold FN then it was one of the F keys and you could turn the wireless on/off... or my Toshiba laptop actually had a switch on the side. I know my bro who had the same toshiba got messed up by that switch a couple times.. hahaha...

and do what ^^^ said

Oh, and make sure its enabled in windows! (start, control panel, network connections, will be grey'ed out if they are disabled)

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    bmxmann may have nailed it. You said "green "WIFI" lite glowing on my keepboard." Now that bmxmann brought it up again I gotta ask about that. Are you sure the wireless LED is on? I thought all Dell's used a blue LED, but maybe that's only if it also has bluetooth.

Toggle the wireless off and on to make sure: Fn + F2

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/637115

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice