1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No wireless connection via Vista WPA/2PSK and Belkin router

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Johnston1, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Johnston1

Johnston1 Thread Starter

I have just installed a BelkinF5D7634-4A-H wireless router and cannot get a wireless connection with WPA2/PSK security. I could get this with my old router (Netgear). The laptop will connect wirelessly to the router, but not the internet, although the internet light is lit on the router. My neighbours can connect (when I entered the password) so this seems to be some sort of communication problem between my laptop and the internet or the router. I can get a wireless connection with WEP but do not want to use this as it is less secure. Currently I have disabled wireless and am using a wired connection. I have Vista Home operating system and, having searched the internet, this seems to be a common problem. However, I have not found a solution I can understand - I have very limited experience in this area. Can anyone help talk me through how to set this up in very simple terms? :confused:

2. iszsaint

iszsaint

this thread should move to networking section

3. Johnston1

Johnston1 Thread Starter

Well thanks. That's REALLY helpful. I did say I was a beginner. Obviously this forum is not for beginners!

4. pedroguy

pedroguy

Hi:When you try to connect wirelessly any error msgs.
    What encryption protocols does your router support?
    I might go to your pc makers web site and download/install any current wireless adapter drivers that may be available there.Might be an adapter encryption issue.

Give us the adapter info from device manager,and I will try to look it up
    And, finally,ALL forums welcome beginners :D

5. Johnston1

Johnston1 Thread Starter

Thank you Pedroguy,at least that is constructive and helpful. I'm such a beginner I don't know what an encryption protocol is but when setting up security on the router one of the options is WPA/PSK so I assume it does support it. There is no error message. When connecting wirelessly it says it is connected to the network, but I can only get a local connection i.e. to the router but not to the internet although the internet light is showing on the router. If I can find device manager, I'll let you know what it says!!

6. pedroguy

pedroguy

Hi:Not to worry.
    Here is how to access device manager.
    Let’s take a look at the status of the network adapters

Device manager:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type devmgmt.msc

Please respond to all the following steps.
    1. Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed.
    2. Are there any devices under Network adapters that have a red x displayed?
    3. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?
    4. should be enabled and working properly.
    5. If error code,what is it ?

From there,provide the make and device specific info that you will see under the general tab when you display the adapter.
    Not all devices support the wide range of security protocols that are available on many current routers.

7. Johnston1

Johnston1 Thread Starter

Hi Pedroguy
    Under Device Manager I have Atheros AR5005G Wireless Network Adapter and VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter. I have gone into Device Manager via Windows System Advanced Settings and there is nothing displayed against them. Both say working.

8. pedroguy

pedroguy

Hi;So here is what your adapter can support>

# Hardware encryption for the Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) and
    IEEE 802.11i security specifications, provides Advanced Encryption
    Standard (AES), Temporal Key Integrity Protocol (TKIP) and Wired
    Equivalent Privacy (WEP) without performance degradation
    So I would ,on your router,use WPA2 Personal which uses AES
    or
    WPA Personal which uses TKIP(I use this one )
    Give both of these a try and see if we make any headway.
    Also,have you gone to the pc makers web site and downloaded any more current drivers for your wireless adapter?
    And that pretty much is the depth of my knowledge on the subject

9. Johnston1

Johnston1 Thread Starter

Pedoguy,
    Thank you for all your time and effort. I have tried WPA2 with AES. I will try the other one. Also someone else has suggested I download drivers so I will try that too.

10. Johnston1

Johnston1 Thread Starter

Hi Pedroguy
    It's taken me a while to get round to it but I have finally searched for driver updates. There do not appear to be any. I am still connected via WEP 128. I would apprecialte any advice on just how secure or insecure is.

I have had no luck with Belkin -I have tried everything they suggest and still cannot connect Via WPA.

Any advice at all from yourself or others would be most welcome.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914889

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice