1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Wireless Connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ltrunner2, Oct 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ltrunner2

ltrunner2 Thread Starter

Been struggling with this for months and could really use some outside help.

I have a NETGEAR N150 WNR1000v2 wireless router that I got from Comcast and a lenovo t61 laptop which I want to use to connect to my network wirelessly. I set up the wireless router and network and everything just fine, the wizard said I was good and had internet access and so forth. So whenever I remove the ethernet cord from my laptop and try to connect to my wireless network with nothing plugged in, it will connect and say I am connected but with local access only. It will not receive packets and my IPv4 connectivity is local, my IPv6 connectivity is limited.

I've used other friends' computers and laptops to connect to the internet to see if its the network and they all connect fine with no problems, they connect right away and can use it all throughout my house. So I know its my computer and some settings on here. I have the Windows Firewall up, I have removed it to try to access the network wirelessly and that doesn't work. I have seen solutions where they say go to your network, properties, general tab and check the box automatically find ip address and those other settings, well when I right click on my network when I am trying to connect to it wirelessly that general tab doesn't even show.

I have a 11 a/b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI Express Adapter that works fine with other wireless networks just not mine. I really could use some help, I need to be able to detach from my hardwire to work on my laptop throughout my home on a wireless connection that won't drop and will stay strong. This is killing me because even my xbox and other laptops and get connected and stay connect to my wireless but my laptop, help please.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest wireless driver from Lenovo's web site.

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector and show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. ltrunner2

ltrunner2 Thread Starter

well i messed my network up even more now. i was messing with settings and now i cant even connect to the network anymore. i used to be able to connect to the network and get a local connection only with no internet access, now i cant even connect to the network. i can only get to the internet with my ethernet cord connected. my computer finds the network but cant connect to it. fml. here is what was asked though. hope i can get help to get my xbox wireless working and wireless on my laptop operational.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Randy>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Randy-T6109G2G
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 11a/b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI Express Ada
    pter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1C-26-5B-B0-1B
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82566MM Gigabit Network Connecti
    on
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1A-6B-3A-57-99
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      262.8 KB
      Views:
  4. ltrunner2

ltrunner2 Thread Starter

my network is Duke04 btw. thanks.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure the router's wireless mode is not 'N only' and that you are not using MAC Address filtering (access control).

Disable encryption on the router and try to connect. If successful you can probably re-enable encryption and reconnect.

6. ltrunner2

ltrunner2 Thread Starter

I checked the settings, the wireless router is in b/g/n mixed mode 150 mbps. Not sure if I am using MAC Address filtering or not, there is no setting on the routerlogin.net for that. There is one that is using this computer's mac address but when i disable it i cant even get onto the internet with an ethernet cord.

Tried taking the password and all encryption off of the network and still couldn't connect to the network/internet.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What, if any, non-Windows firewall or security suite do you have on the machine? A few have different settings for wired and wireless.

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or 7.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

8. ltrunner2

ltrunner2 Thread Starter

Only firewall and anti-virus stuff I used is through Windows and whatever they use. I tried the above in command prompt and still cannot get onto my network and get internet access.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sorry if I missed it, but I don't think that you have confirmed that "you have the latest wireless driver from Lenovo's web site."

10. monsternano

monsternano

Even if we used wireless prior with a Verizon router I am still confused on how the other Toshiba computer connects the iPad connects but the computer we set the router up on won't connect so I check those settings

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What are you talking about, monsternano? Where has ltrunner2 mentioned Verizon, Toshiba or iPad????

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024681

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice