1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No wireless connections detected after reformatting - please help!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Kandaurov, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kandaurov

Kandaurov Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, and you people are my last hope. Here's what's happened so far.

I've formatted my HP 530 Notebook (using 'Operating System CD - Windows XP Professional SP2'). All went well. It was my first format but I read a lot on the internet, so I knew I had to download and install the chipset, the bus driver, the audio and video drivers, the network adapters, etc. This I did, on the HP website (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...Id=135&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=3375953).

Everything is working perfectly except for the internet. The device (a Broadcom wireless network adapter I installed from the HP website) is reportedly 'working properly', the HP assistant says that the Wireless LAN is 'ON', but my Broadcom wireless network wizard cannot find any network, let alone the network of my router. The Windows assistant is just as useless.

I've tried it all: uninstalling and re-installing, snooping around with 'ipconfig /all' and utilities like 'Everest', to start the Wireless Zero Configuration, to use other network adapters, installing SPs and patches, all that jazz. Apparently, everything is fine and 'working properly' - except that there's no network in sight.

Attached you will find all the relevant information I could think of to share with you.

Even if you can't come up with a solution, I'd appreciate it if someone could clear up some questions:

- The 'Everest' utility says that the Interface Type of my wireless network adapter is 'Ethernet'. Isn't Ethernet supposed to be for cable connections?
    - Needless to say, I've been back and forth with drivers a lot. Windows calls my wireless (non)connection 'Wireless Network Connection 2'. Is this in any way significant?
    - I'm using 'Broadcom' because that's all I saw at the HP website. Should I try something else instead, like Atheros or Intel something-something?

I'm becoming a bit desperate, so if all else fails, I'm willing to reformat the computer (for the third time) and install the drivers you recommend to me in the recommended order.

Thank you so much in advance folks, and I apologise for the length of the post and for the tall order I may cause you.

Attached Files:

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    we need to see what that "other device" with a yellow ? is
    can you do the identify hardware below

can we see a full ipconfig /all and also an xirrus screen shot - all below
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
    Download and install

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
    Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and install the program.
    You will now need to take a screen shot and copy that back to the working PC and attach the screen shot in a reply on the forum here.

http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector.aspx
    Direct link to the program is here http://info.xirrus.com/Wi-FiInspectorConfirmation.html

{If the above link does not work heres another link http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,77196-order,4/download.html}

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
    if you get an error - You need will need to have NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.
    On windows 8 - (i do not have windows 8) but, it would appear that, When you first try to run, you may get a message that .net framework is needed, and included in that message is a link to download/install.

Run the program

A user guide is available here http://www.xirrus.com/cdn/pdf/Xirrus-Wi-Fi-inspectorguide-1-2-1-RevB-6.aspx

post a screen shot of the program running.
    if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information.

post which SSID name is yours, its located in the list, under network "Adapter Name" (1st column)

To post a screen shot of the active window.
    1) hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application (Start> All Programs> Accessories> Paint) and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    OR
    2) if you are using Vista/Windows 7 you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

Note:
    For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better. "A desirable signal level for a robust Wi-Fi connection will be green".
    note: the signal level is a negative number, so for example -88 is worst and -40 is better

If you are using the Mac OS then use http://www.istumbler.net/

if you want to optimise base station position and signal strength / dead spots use
    http://www.chimoosoft.com/products/apgrapher/ which has a graph function to monitor signal

ipconfig /all
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post the results in a reply here.
    Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

We would like to see the results from an ipconfig /all - post back the results in a reply here.

This should also work for windows 8
    Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box
    (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results into notepad and then automatically open the notepad and display on your screen.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results into a reply here
    to do that:
    From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
    all the text will now be highlighted
    Next
    From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy

Now go back to the forum - goto the reply and then right click in the reply box and paste the results.
    The results from the notepad should now appear in the forum reply.

How to identify hardware in Device Manager

right click on the device with a yellow ? "other device " in the screen shot you posted

from the menu choose
    properties
    Click on the Details Tab
    Under the Property - drop down
    Select hardware ids
    Right click and select all
    Then right click again and select copy
    Copy and paste that information here

You should see a code similar to this

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_008A&SUBSYS_53058086&REV_34

please reply with the full code for your device(s)

The portion of the code highlighted in RED is the Vendor ID and the portion highlighted in GREEN is the Device ID. In this example:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_008A&SUBSYS_53058086&REV_34

Vendor ID = 8086
    Device ID = 008A

Post back those two numbers make sure we know which is vendor ID and which is device ID

These codes can be looked up at this site http://www.pcidatabase.com/

As an example the link for that database tells us that;
    Vendor ID code 8086 is for this vendor - Intel Corporation
    Device ID code 008A is for this device - Intel Centrino Wireless-N1030

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Assuming an integrated wireless adapter, is the wireless switched on?

4. Kandaurov

Kandaurov Thread Starter

etaf, thank you very much for your thorough reply. I've been trying to install a .NET version and failing miserably. I've tried installing 2.0, 3.5, and a bundler pack of 200mb, but no joy. So no Xirrus yet.

As for the other two requests:

ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : gmazica
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connecti
    on
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1B-38-FD-4A-36

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1A-73-DB-DB-E1

----

Other device ('Unknown device')

Device status:
    The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
    To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

Device Instance id:
    ACPI\HPQ0006\2&DABA3FF&0

Hardware ids:
    ACPI\HPQ0006
    *HPQ0006

---

TerryNet, I think so, otherwise it wouldn't say 'WLAN: ON' and other positive statuses (see screenshots). On the other hand, in ipconfig it says 'media disconnected', so...

5. Kandaurov

Kandaurov Thread Starter

Attached are the Xirrus results: a big zero. I used .NET 2.0, hope that's not a problem - at least the setup went smoothly.

So that this post isn't completely in vain, I'll just repeat my two most pressing questions:

- The 'Everest' utility says that the Interface Type of my wireless network adapter is 'Ethernet'. Isn't Ethernet supposed to be for cable connections?
    - I'm using 'Broadcom' because that's all I saw at the HP website. Should I try something else instead, like Atheros or Intel something-something?

Thank you guys for helping me out!

Attached Files:

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Can you successfully connect by ethernet?

Any firewall (other than Windows') or security suite (I assume not, but want to make sure)?

Make sure that you don't have the HP wireless utility and XP's WZC running at the same time. WZC runs as a service: Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services - Wireless Zero Configuration.

7. Kandaurov

Kandaurov Thread Starter

Ethernet: it's a good question... My guess is that I can, but I don't know that, neither do I have a cable to test that option. But isn't it strange that my Wireless Network Adapter says that its interface type is 'Ethernet'? Should I install another Network Adapter?

I've deactivated the Windows firewall somewhere down the line, so no firewall.

No, WZC is not on. What I do have on is the HP Wireless Assistant and the Broadcom Wireless Network Wizard (BWNW). This last utility has replaced the Windows configuration. I've also tried to disable the BWNW and to enable WZC, but nothing came of it.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If the wireless adapter is easily accessible through a cover on the laptop bottom remove and carefully and firmly reinsert it (to take care of any possible looseness or corrosion). Make sure the antenna leads are secure.

If that doesn't result in a network being detected then I think we have covered all the possibilities and it's time to try another adapter.

9. Kandaurov

Kandaurov Thread Starter

This not actually being my computer, I'm reluctant to lay my inexperienced pawns on the hardware, but I supposed that's a logical next step. As soon as the owner returns I'll ask for her permission.

As for 'another adapter', does that imply changing the physical device, or do you mean downloading and installing something else, like Atheros?

Thank you for helping!

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A USB wireless adapter is my recommendation.

11. Kandaurov

Kandaurov Thread Starter

Thank you for the suggestion, I'll definitely do that if I don't find another solution. But I'll just try a bit more to find a way to solve this, it's almost a matter of principle now!

If no other viable solutions are found I may try one last reformat before throwing in the towel.
    Based on the information thus far posted (HP 530, XP, etc), could anyone be kind enough to tell me:
    - in which order should I install the drivers?
    - which chipset, bus driver and network adapter (driver) should I get?

Thank you very much in advance.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Unless HP specifies an order for your model install the chipset first, then ethernet, then all others.

On HP's web site I get 34 matches for "530." You need a more specific model designation to get to the correct set of drivers.

13. Kandaurov

Kandaurov Thread Starter

Ah, alright, you see that's not the order I did it in. Well, it's an "HP 530 Notebook", I don't know how to be more specific.
    Again, thank you for your troubles.

14. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    try this
    Model:

* Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt
    * Type, wmic computersystem get model
    * Press Enter

Also on a label on the bottom of the laptop should be the full model

15. Kandaurov

Kandaurov Thread Starter

Both the label and the command prompt say: 'Model: HP 530 Notebook PC'.

etaf, I've checked again that database for the 'unknown device'. It's the chipset:
    Device Id: 0x27A2
    Chip Description: Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family
    Vendor Id: 0x8086
    Vendor Name: Intel core 2 cpu

Is this significant?

I guess this means I should at least give the reformatting a go. If you guys think this could help, I'd appreciate it if you could help me get the correct drivers.
    - For instance, exactly which chipset should I get? On the HP website there are two: ICH7 and ICH8 (more recent). Should I go for the ICH8, or even some other outside the HP website?
    - And which Ethernet should I get? Should I go again for Broadcom?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice