1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

'No wireless networks available' message

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gen21, Jan 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gen21

Gen21 Thread Starter

Hi,
    my mum has bought a new laptop from america to be used in the UK. It is centrino with built in wireless but a bubble appears on the taskbar saying 'no wireless networks available' and even says this when searching for networks. I have checked the connection settings via the properites option in network connections and all seems fine. I have spoken to HP on thier online chat and also called them but they do not know what the problem is. We have another laptop connected to our router so its not a router problem and the laptop has also connected to the wi-fi at the airport on our way home from the US but will not pick up our network at home. i have tried everything but nothing seems to make a difference. Pleeeease help

2. KingCody

KingCody

have you enabled your router to broadcast the SSID? and have you limited your router to only allow certain computers to connect (or only a certain number of computers)??

try performing a master reset on your router, that will put it back to it's factory defaults which will allow any wireless laptop to connect to it, incase you (or some other program) has changed settings that will not let you connect.

3. Gen21

Gen21 Thread Starter

Hi, i have a laptop already connected and my brother when he occasionally comes home from uni connects to it fine too. the problem laptop does not seem to be able to find the network. i have done the ssid thing and a master reset would that be unplugging the router for 2 minutes bacaude ive tried that too

4. KingCody

KingCody

no, a master reset (depends on the router) can either be an option in the setup menu, or a physical pen-point button on the back of the router (see your router manual) for info on how..

what model router do you have?

5. Gen21

Gen21 Thread Starter

it is a BT voyager 2100
    if one laptop is picking it up though im not sure a reset would make any difference? :confused:

6. bigbear

bigbear

On the new laptop have you configured your firewall to join the network?

7. Gen21

Gen21 Thread Starter

i have tried turning the firewall off but it still will not pick up any networks

8. bigbear

bigbear

Does the laptop see the network but can't access it?

9. Gen21

Gen21 Thread Starter

no it will not pick up any networks

10. bigbear

bigbear

Ok we know it searchs and picks up networks cos you said it worked ok at the airport.
    The problem must be with the router, what security has been setup on the router?

11. Gen21

Gen21 Thread Starter

none whatsoever it is completely open

12. jflan

jflan

I use D-Link products for my wireless network and I have better luck staying within the D-Link envirnment for the setup. I tell XP to "have a seat" during setup.

Have you tried exclusively HP v. XP (assuming) for the setup?

Even if it was a security issue the laptop should "see" the network. The only other thing that I can think of would be the band that your router is broadcasting on. It's wireless B or G, right?

13. Gen21

Gen21 Thread Starter

yeah its compatible with the router. my brother is saying something about encryption but if this was the case would the problem laptop still view the network?

14. bigbear

bigbear

Have you done anything within windows to find a network?

15. Gen21

Gen21 Thread Starter

only used the find available networks within the network connections screen

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/432867

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice