1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Wireless Networks in Range -- But they just were

Discussion in 'Networking' started by hukekee, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hukekee

hukekee Thread Starter

Been trying to figure this out for days now...

I have Comcast broadband and had been giving my townhome wireless access by connecting it to a linksys router. Merely starting our computer automatically connected to our wireless network without the need to search and locate the network.

I then added a password to the network for the first time. However, after I did that, my computer automatically connected to a different non-password network. Thus, I had to find a way to search for and located my newly password protected network.

I clicked on the windows icon with a computer and the wireless waves at the bottom of my computer, and it told me "no wireless networks were in range," and instructed me this could be a result of another program running my wireless options. It told me how to switch it back to windows, and I did so. I was able to search for my network, and connect to it.

We then restarted our computer, and can no longer search for wireless networks, and no longer have the option of switching to Windows in order to do so. My computer is not connecting to any networks, and I can't search for any networks.

Any ideas?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Like they said, you probably have another wireless client that is interfering with WZC.

Check your Services are Started the problem machine.
    • COM+ Event System (for WZC issues)
    • Computer Browser
    • DHCP Client
    • DNS Client
    • Network Connections
    • Network Location Awareness
    • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    • Server
    • TCP/IP Netbios helper
    • Workstation
    • Windows Zero Configuration (wireless configurations)

Note: You can check the services in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.

All of these services should be started, and their startup type should be automatic (or perhaps manual).

3. hukekee

hukekee Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I made sure everything you noted was "started," and they all were. Some were "manual", so I switched to automatic.

I then tried to pull up the wireless networks by clicking "refresh wireless networks", but still nothing comes up and it tells me no wireless networks in range. But I know there are.

My ConfigFree program actually finds the networks and displays them, but does not give you the option of connecting to them.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

ConfigFree? Is this like a Toshiba laptop?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754266

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice