1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"No wireless networks were found in range" after saying "connected".

Discussion in 'Networking' started by babymeena, Oct 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. babymeena

babymeena Thread Starter

Hi, guys. I'm having a heck of a time with setting up my wireless network. I have an old desktop wired to Netgear wgt624 and trying to connect my laptop wireless to share internet connection and files between the two computers. I want to transfer all large files from desktop to laptop so I could burn it on DVDs. I used to be able to share internet connection even though laptop speed was significantly lower than desktop it was o.k. for browsing internet. Settings for router: Network authentication=WPA-PSK, Data encryption=TKIP with network key and don't broadcast ssid. In the process of trying to make file sharing work I changed a couple of settings. I changed automatic IP address to static (copied from desktop), created same usernames for both computers (even though it doesn't ask to set a password for some reason), and made some files and drives "shared". Now I can't connect to internet either. It does show network in range however when I click on connect, it tries to connect and the moment it says "connected", the message "No wireless networks were found in range" comes up. Then I refresh network list and it shows my network is connected with excellent signal strength but I can't get online. I feel like giving up on this network thing. It's sooo frustrating. I was so happy when i was able to cruise internet in the livingroom instead of having to stay next to the cable modem but I'm sure it's worth all this aggrevation. Could anyone PLEASE help???

2. babymeena

babymeena Thread Starter

One more thing. Before I had this "connected" problem, it used to stay "acquiring network address" forever without ever connecting. so the "connected" problem came after "acquiring" problem. I tried shutting down ZoneAlarm Security Suite (firewall and av) to no avail. I have added my network address (the one copied from desktop which now is identical for laptop as well) to tursted zone. ZA added on its own "new network" while the internet connection was working. I doubt that it's ZA causing the problem because I was able to connect with ZA on before. What do you guys think???

3. babymeena

babymeena Thread Starter

Also when I try to ping the other computer by name cmd window opens and shuts down so fast that I can't even read anything. Does that mean it failed to ping? When I ping by ip address it give me 4 lines of same writing. Does this mean it pinged successfully or did it just ping itslef since the ip addresses are same on both computers?

4. Bottleopener

Bottleopener

Ok, Im gonna try to help you sort this out :)

You have a Netgear WTG624 - which I presume is 802.11g.
    Question:
    1) Is DHCP enabled on this router?

You have an old HP pavilion desktop
    Questions:
    2) Is ZA on this computer ?
    3) Do you have, in your network properties of the Network card, an ip address specified, or are you using DHCP? ( see question 1)

You have a Compaq laptop
    Questions:
    4) Do you have ZA on this laptop?
    5) See question 3

When you goto start, run, then type cmd and press enter, the command prompt window will come up. On both computers, type ipconfig and then paste the ip address here in the forums. **NOTE** ONLY paste it if the ip address looks like one of the following: 10.x.x.x or 172.16.X.X to 172.31.x.x or 192.168.x.x .That would mean you are indeed on a private class IP and its safe to paste them here. ( example being 192.168.1.100 , or 10.10.1.150 )

When you do get the ip, copy it down and then goto the opposite computer and goto start, run, type cmd and press enter. Then type ping x.x.x.x where x.x.x.x is the ip address you copied down.

Paste one line from each of those here, one from the HP to the compaq, and then compaq to the hp.

I know this is alot of info, but im trying to determine your network so I can help you fix it. :)

If you dont feel comfortable pasting the info in the forums, feel free to pm me.

Bottle

5. babymeena

babymeena Thread Starter

Hello, bottle.

Netgear WGT 624
    Use router as DHCP server checked (enabled)
    Use Router as DHCP Server
    Starting IP Address 192.168 .0 .2
    Ending IP Address 192.168 .0 .254

Old pavilion
    I have free zone alarm firewall not security suite
    Desktop actually has Local area connection and is connected to router so I have ethernet adaptor : I have tcp/ip config option but I don't see DCHP option but when I do cmd ipconfig all, it says dhcp is not enabled

Laptop
    I have Zone Alarm Secuiry suite which is both firewall and av
    It's using network adaptor however I don't see DCHP option anywhere just tcp/ip but when I do cmd ipconfig all, it says dhcp is not enabled

Desktop ip: 192.168.0.3
    Laptop ip: 192.168.0.7

Thanks for taking your time to help me out!

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    When you added the manual IP's to your machines did you also specify the Router's address(probably 192.168.0.1) as the Gateway and DNS server?

7. babymeena

babymeena Thread Starter

Hi, triple 6. I changed the preferred DNS server to router address and left the alternate DNS server as it is (66.51.....) When I turn my laptop on it still says I'm connected to wireless network but the internet still doesn't work and file sharing still not available. Then I go to disconnect then connect again and see "acquiring network address" then "connected" then "no available wireless network". I don't know what is going on... =( Thank you so much for helping out.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/280891

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice