1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Nobody home in Network Neighborhood

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Flags, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Flags

Flags Thread Starter

Hi, everyone, In My Network Places, I have no icons representing any computer on the network. (I have only 2 computers on the network).
    The only Icon there, on my Dell PC is 'My Web Sites on MSN Network'.
    There aren't any icons on my Firstbuild PC.
    I expected to see icons for each computer there.
    If I click on 'View Workgroup computers' I get an error saying "MShome is not accessable. You might not have permissionto use this network rescourse. Contact the administrator to find out if you have access permissions'.
    Heck, I own both machines, why do I not have permission?
    What do I do to correct this problem?

I have only one user account on each machine and they are not passworded.
    I'm thinking this may be the problem, but I'm not sure and I don't want to mess it up now that I am so close to getting it set up.
    Your help is appreciated greatly.

The two computers in question are in my signature.

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The basics for troubleshooting are:

1. Make sure you have the same IP scheme (e.g. 192.168.0.x).

2. Make sure you have the same Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS IP addresses.

3. Make sure you can ping the other computer's IP address. If this fails, just for testing, make sure you turn off XP's as well as any other firewall.

4. Make sure you can ping the other computers by name.

5. Make sure you have the same workgroup name (watch for trailing spaces)

6. For troubleshooting purposes, turn off XP's and completely uninstall any other firewall software. You can always add more complexity after you get it working.

7. With XP, make sure you have the same username and password as the person logging onto the other computers. The default setting for XP Pro is to require a password for network access.

8. More details about how to network XP can be found at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm

9. More details about how to troubleshoot TCP/IP networks can be found at:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/trouble.htm

10. Apply the registry edit to fix the browsing delay from XP to Win9x computers
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#browsing_delay.

There continues to be a lot of misinformation about needing NetBEUI or to changing the NetBIOS setting. You can ignore both. Installing NetBEUI to solve a networking problem will just mask a some underlying and potentially important misconfiguration with TCP/IP. The default NetBIOS setting works fine so there is no need to change that either.

3. linskyjack

linskyjack

I can vouch for the Firewall stuff--after not believing Bob, I finally deleted Zonealarm and
    voila!!!!!!!!!!

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

linskyjack, that's for pointing this out. Not sure if they have XP but assume they do given the workgroup name.

It is amazing how often people only suggest to disable any 3rd party firewalls rather than remove them. And how often this really doesn't solve the problem.

5. Flags

Flags Thread Starter

Bob: I think my problem is that my IP addresses ard not consecutive.
    I was given an IP address by my ISP of 192.168.254.1 and my second machine was automatically assigned an address of 192.168.0.2.
    Can I simply change the second machine's address to 192.168.254.2? Or will that only muck up the thing more than it is?
    The subnet masks are the same and so is my gateway IP address on both machines.
    I await your answer. Thanks for putting up with me.
    Right now, I can ping each machine from the other by name and IP address and I have Internet access on both machines.
    My Network Places still does not show either machine.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

It's not so much that they are not consecutive but they are using totally difference schemes.

One is 192.168.254.x.
    The other is 192.168.0.x

Neither of these is directly coming from your ISP.

How are your computers connected and getting to the Internet.
    How are they getting their IP information.
    You can certainly try manually entering in correct IP information (IP address, subnet mask, gateway and DNS) for the computer that isn't connecting. Just pick a different IP address.

7. Flags

Flags Thread Starter

Bob: I'm not sure but both computers are connecting to the internet, I think, thru the switch. The switch is connected to my DSL Modem via a Cat 5 cable.
    Each computer is connected, via Cat 5 cable, to the switch.
    I really don't think I have a Network, but I can ping each machine from the other.
    Sorry, but I just don't know what I'm doing. Thanks for your help.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you can ping each computer from the other you already have a lot going for you. Just keep following the steps listed previously.

9. Flags

Flags Thread Starter

O.K. Bob: I changed the IP address of the DELL from 192.168.254.1 to 192.168.0.1. added DELL 162.168.0.1 to my HOSTs file and can ping each machine from the other by name and IP address.
    I have uninstalled Zone Alarm and turned off Windows firewall.
    On either machine, I log in as 'Hal' without a password. XPHome on each machine.
    What happens next?

10. mfinnell

mfinnell

At the Dos prompt on each machine type "ipconfig /all"without the quotes then press enter.

click upper left corner dos window select edit ,select all then upper left again select edit ,copy

exit dos,open notepad and paste,save as home or Dell

then If each machine can get here copy the notepad and paste here
    If only 1 can get here then type the second ones info in continuation of notepad re save then paste it here
    here is mine
    Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /all

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : mike
    Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR FA311/FA312 PCI Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-09-5B-1E-44-42
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.135
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, September 26, 2004 1:15:34 P
    M
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, October 03, 2004 1:15:34 PM

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you can ping by both name and IP, then the IP information is likely ok. Don't need to see it. You might consider using another address than 192.168.0.1 since it might be possible that a router would use that. Otherwise it should work fine.

Then keep reading the previous post for the link on how to set up XP in a peer to peer network.

12. Flags

Flags Thread Starter

mfinell: I have XP and can only use the command prompt which has no way of selecting and copying so I could paste it in notepad or in the forum.
    ANYHOW, I give up. Networking is not working for me so I reinstalled Zone Alarm, added the name and IP addresses to the Trusted Zones in ZA. I can still ping each machine from the other by name and IP address. Both have Internet access so to heck with it.
    I only wanted to network the machines because it can be done, but it is no big deal.
    Thank you both for trying to help me. I really appreciate it.
    The posting can be marked closed if you have wish.

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Again, if you can ping both computers by name and access the Internet, then you don't need to see your IP information in order to network your two computers. You would only need to do that if this wasn't working.

Now you just need to set up the same workgroup name, create the same user accounts and passwords on both computers and share directories.

14. Flags

Flags Thread Starter

Bob: Two computers, both XP. One named DELL, the other, Firstbuild. The work group name is MSHOME.
    I read one of your other posts and got my printer (on the DELL LPT1) shared with Firstbuild. It won't print a test page.
    I have already shared Folders (Pictures & Music). By directories, I assume you mean Programs? I share Microsoft Money.
    All I wanted to do is share the printer, but like I said, if it's going to be such a hassle, to heck with it.
    Are you saying I have to create a new User account on each machine with the same name and password?
    How come I have no icons in My Network Places?
    Seems to me you're not going to let me quit on you.

15. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If it won't print a test page on the computer it is connected to, typically it won't print a test page on the networked computer.

Also what steps have you followed so far to share the printer. It is difficult to give specific ideas to fix things when I don't know what has been done so far.

Sharing directories is not the same as sharing programs. Typically programs need to be installed on each computer and can't be run across a network.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276267

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice