/nodetect - skip sound card auto-detection

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Shoba

I get that mesage in command prompt everytime I try to install Heroes Of MightAnd Magic i .... What do I need to do to fix this problem , so I can continue to install the program. Thanks - Shoba

There are currently four versions of the game. Which one are you using, and what operating system are you running?

Shoba

Well I noted it was the first version of Heroes that runs in DOS, and I am running Win XP. Thanks - Shoba

There's your problem. Windows XP doesn't run like Windows 98. There is no dos in XP. I keep an old pc around running 98 for just such a problem. There is a program called dosbox, that runs in xp and simulates a dos environment, however, I have found it to be rather finicky. It takes a bit of learning and fiddling to get it to run just right. If you want to try I can help you with it.

Dosbox : http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/dosbox/DOSBox0.65-win32-installer.exe?download

and the home of dosbox : http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

Shoba

Well thanks for the help... I had no clue, I really Appreciate it! Yeah i'll give it a shot and see what I can do, I really like playin the original heroes. hah. Thanks- Shoba

Hi Shoba,

Sorry I wasn't available yesterday. Power failure at work, I was on damage control.

Dosbox is pretty easy to use. It comes down to a few commands and tweaks.

Can you tell me about how far you've got with it? I'm assuming you can mount a drive and start to load the game. Here are some quick keys from the sourceforege page. Play around with the CTRL F12 - F11 and CTRL F7 - F8

ALT-ENTER
Switch to full-screen (and back).

CTRL-F1
Show the keymapper configuration screen,

CTRL-F4
Update cached information about mounted drives. Useful if you changed something on a mounted drive outside of DOSBox. Also cycles through disk images mounted using imgmount.

CTRL-F5
Save a screenshot (goes to capture folder).

CTRL-F6
Start/Stop recording sound output to a wave file (goes to capture folder).

CTRL-ALT-F7
Start/Stop recording of OPL commands.

CTRL-ALT-F8
Start/Stop the recording of raw MIDI commands.

CTRL-F7
Decreases frameskip.

CTRL-F8
Increases frameskip.

CTRL-F9
Kill (close) DOSBox.

CTRL-F10
Capture/Release the mouse (if you need to use the mouse within DOSBox).

CTRL-F11
Decrease DOSBox cycles (slows down the emulation).

CTRL-F12
Increase DOSBox cycles (speeds up the emulation).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online