1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Noise from Computer Tower

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheFonz007, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheFonz007

TheFonz007 Thread Starter

I am just wondering if an official noun name has been given for the following noise? And please read this entirely before submitting your answer.
    Its a noise that comes from the Computer Tower that sounds like a Geiger Counter? It can also be said to have a very fast, medium, or slow clicking or ticking sound. But the sound is best described as sounding like the noise made when a Geiger Counter detects radiation. I don't know if this sound can be heard in the most up-to-date computers of this day. But on the older ones especially it was a very prevalent sound. This sound occurs when my virus software is doing a scan. When this sound is being made, I experience a slow down of being able to open programs and etc.

Now I've gotten three answers from people who wanted to give me a solution for a problem when all I am asking is if there is a name for the noise. I have no problem. So for the people who submitted answer posts #2 and #3, please read my response in the #4 post.

Today I have edited my question in such a detailed way so there should be no confusion that I am not asking for a solution to a problem. I am asking if anyone knows if a name has been assigned for this noise. I already know why it happens.
    Where it comes from - (like does it come from a speaker),
    and how its produced - (like does it come from a component),
    would be nice to know.

But the basic question is: What is the name of the noise called?

2. oksteve

oksteve

sounds like your hard drive, mine made that noise before it died..BACK UP now just incase

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    A quick check is to remove the side cover from the case, then when the sound is occurring, see if you can isolate the sound to a particular component. It does seem to be a hard drive making this sound, but if it is what is known as the "Click of Death" it should be present anytime the hard drive is being accessed.

Understand though that some hard drives are not as quiet as others, and when doing a virus scan, you are placeing heavier activity on your hard drive than average daily use.

4. TheFonz007

TheFonz007 Thread Starter

Not sure if you understood. I said the noise occurs when my virus program is doing a scan. There aren't any problem I am incurring. I just want to know if a name has ever been given for this noise. Believe me the noise would have occurred when the hard drive was brand new.

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    I Agree .. Sound like it's time to go shopping for a new HDD.
    Sounds like it's the noise a HDD makes when it's searching for files.
    Some are louder than others ... or it could be a sign of bad things to come

Do you have your personal Data, programs and settings backed up ??
    Have you made your Dell Recovery DVDs yet ??
    Do you have an external HDD ??
    Do you know how to Image your HDD ??
    Want your own TSG Avatar ??
    Fonz.gif
    And Welcome to the TSG Forum ..

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916419

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice