1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Noise" in laptop screen... Video card problem? [with photo]

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by newnewbie, Nov 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. newnewbie

newnewbie Thread Starter

Hi,

Anyone knows what could this problem be? It doesn't even get to the login screen...

[​IMG]

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I am unable to tell what is on the display; is it the BIOS setup utility, or a Windows screen? If it is in Windows, do you have another monitor you can try with the laptop? (Note, you need to press a couple of keys to switch to an external monitor., usually it is Fn + F5)

3. newnewbie

newnewbie Thread Starter

It is the Windows Startup Repair screen. The computer can't reach the Windows logon screen.

I've already connected an external monitor, but the same happens. The external monitor displays with those "scan lines".

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Do you see the lines during power on self test, before Windows starts to load? That would likely be a memory or graphics controller problem. If the power on self test is ok and the problem occurs after Windows starts, then I would suspect drivers. Have you tried starting Windows in Safe Mode?

5. newnewbie

newnewbie Thread Starter

Yes, I see this problem as soon as I start the computer. The "Toshiba" start-up screen, also appears this way. Could this be a Graphics controller problem, then? The GPU?

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If you see it as soon as the computer is turned on it is a hardware problem. Unfortunately for 99% of all laptops the graphics adapter is integrated on the motherboard and repair would require replacement of the motherboard. What is the exact model of your laptop as read from the label on the bottom of the laptop?

7. newnewbie

newnewbie Thread Starter

Hi dustjay. I have:

Toshiba A300 - 1CO
    Model: PSAJ4E-03R015PT

In my case woul I have to replace the motherboard AND the GPU? Is it a single piece?

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I plugged that model number into the Toshiba site search and it either comes back as a Power Adapter or "No Results"

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    The only A300- model numbers have an ST#### after the dash.

10. newnewbie

newnewbie Thread Starter

11. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Sorry I did not realize you were not in the US. With my extremely limited vocabulary of Spanish, I was able to pick out the Graphics and yes it is integrated and will require a Motherboard replacement to repair.

12. newnewbie

newnewbie Thread Starter

The Graphics is:

ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3470 with HyperMemory™
    Memory: 256 MB VRAM dedicated (up to 1 023 MB with HyperMemory™)
    DDR Video RAM (shared DDR Video RAM and system DDR memory)
    Bus conector: 16x PCI Express

Too bad I will need a new Motherboard... Is it easy to replace? And what specific model should I look for?

Thanks.

13. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    You would have to get the motherboard model information from Toshiba. It will require complete disassembly of the Laptop to accomplish a replacement. Is it Easy? I would not tackle such a task myself. The price of a replacement motherboard can be as much as the price of a new Laptop.

14. newnewbie

newnewbie Thread Starter

I see...
    Thanks you very much for your help dustyjay. You truly are a Distinguished Member. :)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028483

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice