"Noise" in laptop screen... Video card problem? [with photo]

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

newnewbie

Hi,

Anyone knows what could this problem be? It doesn't even get to the login screen...

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
I am unable to tell what is on the display; is it the BIOS setup utility, or a Windows screen? If it is in Windows, do you have another monitor you can try with the laptop? (Note, you need to press a couple of keys to switch to an external monitor., usually it is Fn + F5)

newnewbie

It is the Windows Startup Repair screen. The computer can't reach the Windows logon screen.

I've already connected an external monitor, but the same happens. The external monitor displays with those "scan lines".

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
Do you see the lines during power on self test, before Windows starts to load? That would likely be a memory or graphics controller problem. If the power on self test is ok and the problem occurs after Windows starts, then I would suspect drivers. Have you tried starting Windows in Safe Mode?

newnewbie

Yes, I see this problem as soon as I start the computer. The "Toshiba" start-up screen, also appears this way. Could this be a Graphics controller problem, then? The GPU?

dustyjay

Jay
If you see it as soon as the computer is turned on it is a hardware problem. Unfortunately for 99% of all laptops the graphics adapter is integrated on the motherboard and repair would require replacement of the motherboard. What is the exact model of your laptop as read from the label on the bottom of the laptop?

newnewbie

Hi dustjay. I have:

Toshiba A300 - 1CO
Model: PSAJ4E-03R015PT

In my case woul I have to replace the motherboard AND the GPU? Is it a single piece?

dustyjay

Jay
I plugged that model number into the Toshiba site search and it either comes back as a Power Adapter or "No Results"

dustyjay

Jay
Sorry I did not realize you were not in the US. With my extremely limited vocabulary of Spanish, I was able to pick out the Graphics and yes it is integrated and will require a Motherboard replacement to repair.

newnewbie

The Graphics is:

ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3470 with HyperMemory™
Memory: 256 MB VRAM dedicated (up to 1 023 MB with HyperMemory™)
DDR Video RAM (shared DDR Video RAM and system DDR memory)
Bus conector: 16x PCI Express

Too bad I will need a new Motherboard... Is it easy to replace? And what specific model should I look for?

Thanks.

dustyjay

Jay
You would have to get the motherboard model information from Toshiba. It will require complete disassembly of the Laptop to accomplish a replacement. Is it Easy? I would not tackle such a task myself. The price of a replacement motherboard can be as much as the price of a new Laptop.

newnewbie

I see...
Thanks you very much for your help dustyjay. You truly are a Distinguished Member. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online