Noise on startup coming from the back bottom of my computer the PSU i think.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

thegr8one123

Hi everyone, i just wanted to ask if this is fatal to my pc, basically sometimes not always when i startup my PC there is a buzzing sound coming for the back of my PC, the PSU i think, its only just started happening about 2 days ago, all i need to do if tap the back of my pc and its gone, and i do this if the sound occurs as soon as my pc turns on, i just wanted to know if its fatal to my pc, or if its just dust or something.

First Name
Ron
The first thing I would do is clean out the dust from your computer, especially around the PSU fan. If this does not clear up the noise, it could be the fan going in your PSU.

managed

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Allan
Could be arcing, check the mains power cord is fully into the socket.

Also if possible examine the back of the PC with the lights out in the room, when you hear the buzz is there any sign of sparks or light from the PSU area ?

thegr8one123

hi, i posted a little while ago about a noise in my computer on startup and didn't get much reply, so i made a youtube video so that you can actually hear the noise for yourself, it seems to be coming from the power supply i would say, so if you got some time please can you guys watch the youtube video and see if you know what it is. thanks.

heres the youtube link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuFZaBUdnJA

its really dark in the video sorry for that.

etaf

First Name
Wayne
i have merged your post, please do not start another thread for the same problem -

thegr8one123

Does this mean that i will need a new power supply or something?... thing is i have no clue how to fit one, if its just the fan can it be fixed and will it harm my computer thats the main question

IF the problem is a bad fan bearing the fan can be replaced. If you are not familiar with working on a power supply the machine should be taken to a shop for repair or possibly power supply replacement.

IF the fan is the problem and totally fails, it of course could damage the power supply and possibly other machine components.

etaf

First Name
Wayne
Does this mean that i will need a new power supply or something?... thing is i have no clue how to fit one, if its just the fan can it be fixed and will it harm my computer thats the main question
If it is the bearing and is the PSU , when it fails the device will overheat and cause damage

The Fan is usually on the backpanel of the PSU - so you should be able to get quite close to it , there will be a grill on the back where the FAN is and also the on/off and Power lead all together - see if that is really where the noise is
There are other fans inside , maybe a case fan and certainly a CPU fan

whats the make and model of the PC _ can you take the side panel off and have a look inside ?
just to make sure not a case fan or CPU fan

thegr8one123

the thing that makes me think its the psu fan is because i can cleary put my ear need the back of the psu and hear the sound, something that i should probably tell you aswell, its only on startup, once the computer has on the windows interface, the should normally fades away or i need to lift the back on my computer up or tap the back and it normally goes, I play alot of games on this pc and use design software and i havn't seen any performance issues at all.

etaf

First Name
Wayne
the should normally fades away or i need to lift the back on my computer up or tap the back and it normally goes,
i wonder if something is touching the fan blades at all ?

Also is it every time you start the PC - or only from cold ?

if you "tap" the back - does it always go away ?

use a torch and see if you can see anything near the blades

whats the make and exact model of the PC

thegr8one123

it i just tap it, it sometimes just weakens the noise, i normally lift the back up and the same happens aswell. sometimes it doesn't happen at all, then sometimes it well happen on start up for 3-4 days and then the next 2 days its fine on startup. I bought the pc from cyberpower UK, so its custom built, so theres not really a make or model, i havn't contacted the company about it yet, because i think my warranty expired which is kind of worrying.

etaf

First Name
Wayne
any information on the PSU itself on the back, post back whatever is there - if custom built is most likely a standard powersupply unit

thegr8one123

im pretty sure its 400-450W, so itll be a stardard power supply. i didn't change any options when i bought i pc so im sure its the standard one which is 450W

etaf

First Name
Wayne
i would check the warranty situation first and then whoever made it for you - see what they want to change to replace the PSU or the Fan

and if its worth upgrading at all - if you are a heavy gamer and looking for a more powerful graphics card

depending on your capabilities you may want to look at changing it yourself

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online