1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Noise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by abaxter, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. abaxter

abaxter Thread Starter

I have a system that my co-workers assembled for me, I've had it about 4 months now and every time I turn it on there is a loud noise coming from the back of it. Any suggestions as to what it could be or how to fix it???

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi abaxter, welcome to TSG.

My guess is probably the power supply.......try to listen to it while the computer is starting up.....

3. abaxter

abaxter Thread Starter

it makes a lot of noise when starting up!! then it won't stop. i have to shut the computer down and re-boot. thanks for the quick response.

4. ~Candy~

And when you reboot, does the noise go away?

Pretty much the sources of noise are going to be interior fans, the power supply or the hard drive......you are pretty much going to have to figure out where it's coming from......

5. abaxter

abaxter Thread Starter

yes the noise goes away after i reboot, it's not the fan, if it is the hard drive how do I make it stop??

6. ~Candy~

IF it's the hard drive, it'll eventually stop when it dies completely :(

You might want to start to back up anything important ASAP.

7. abaxter

abaxter Thread Starter

ok thank you very much for the help i have a 4gb and a 20gb in there so I'm thinking it's probably the 4 - it's really old. I'll back up everything on there on to the 20 and take it out. thanks again.

8. ~Candy~

Before you start, you may want to pull the one that isn't the C: boot drive and see if the noise goes away....just because the small one is the oldest doesn't mean it's going to die before the newer one......I've still got one running from 1994, but one I bought in 2000 died...... :(

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65723

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice