1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Noisy fan - any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Daz224, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Daz224

Daz224 Thread Starter

I've got a really noisy CPU fan and I'd like to replace it.

I heard that water coolers are the best but I looked on Savastore.com and couldn't find any. Would a standard fan do?

Processor is AMD 2000+

2. 1ets

1ets

If a fan has worked satisfactorily in the past, I see no reason to go form more than a replacement fan.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

4. seekermeister

seekermeister

I'm curious, this isn't fhe first time that I have read that the stock heatsink and fans from AMD aren't too good, but I have been using mine for about a year and a half without any problems, and my temps remain low. What is wrong with the stock setups?

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Not all of them, the X2, Am2 and Fx fans are excellent, it was the XP fans that really wore out easily.

6. seekermeister

seekermeister

I guess that the AMD64s fall into the better catagory, because that is what I have.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The problem with most AMD Athlon XP fans are their size, 60 mm fans need to spin faster to move more air and as a result are louder and tend to fail quicker.

An 80 mm fan would be better, here's one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835150040
    To make it even quieter take off the top grill.

Or go for a Thermaltake solution wiht a low decibel number, at least under 30db: http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/Cooler/CPUCoolers/AMD/AMDAthlonXP/AMD_athlonXP.asp
    Fansless: http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/cooler/retail/cl-p0071/cl-p0071.asp

8. Daz224

Daz224 Thread Starter

The reliability of the fan hasn't been a problem, it's lasted me for nearly four years without a problem. It's just the noise.

I live in the UK so I'm gonna go through Savastore.com, but I priced two up.

A cheap one here

or a slightly more expensive one here

Both are under 30db.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well the second one is better for sure but not as good as the Mascool or Thermaltake fans. The first a 60 or 70 mm fan mounted on a crappy aluminum heatsink. The second is a variable speed fan that is actually quite loud at full speed.

That store has a very small and poor inventory.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  11. Daz224

Daz224 Thread Starter

Triple6 - that alternative site also has a small inventory - for my processor.

I could only find 2 choices for a Socket A chip - and they're both from Akasa. But at 26db I guess they're ok.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  13. Daz224

Daz224 Thread Starter

The Zalmans are no good, unfortunately. I've got about the only motherboard that's incompatible with their range (as per their web site).

The Thermaltake fanless one would be ideal, but it's too large for my case. The Typhoon would be my next choice, but it's a bit pricey.

So I think I'll go with the Akasa AK-827. I'm on a budget and I think that'll be sufficient.

14. Daz224

Daz224 Thread Starter

I got the Akasa AK-786 and what a difference! I can actually hear myself think now. I mean seriously, the last one was incredibly noisy.

Yep, I got this one for the equivalent of about $10 including delivery, and it is under 30db. Great buy! Thanks all for the tips, you helped me make my mind up.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490217

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice