Noisy Hard Drive - Imminent Failure ???

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

craftee

Hi Guys,

A noisy bearing type noise has started coming from my PC.

I thought it was one of the cooling fans, but I've checked all of those and they are all OK.

It must be coming from the Hard Drive (IDE).

1) Is there a test I can do to see if Drive Failure is imminent?

2) Can I put a spot of thin oil on the bearing to make it quieter?

3) If I have to replace the Drive, what software do I need to Copy the whole PC from one drive to another as I do not want to re-install everything.

4) Any recomendations on a new (IDE) Drive?

Looking forward to your comments.

Regards,

Paul

TSG Info
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 2600+, x86 Family 15 Model 44 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 1
RAM: 2046 Mb
Graphics Card: ALL-IN-WONDER RADEON 8500 DV (Microsoft Corporation), 64 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 76316 MB, Free - 34190 MB;
Motherboard: EPoX COMPUTER CO., LTD, K8M800 DDR: 8HMMI-A Series, 1.x,
Antivirus: None

Antivirus Update
Although the TSG Info didn't pick it up, Norton Internet Security is running on this machine

Tanis

Shane
If the noise is definately coming from the hard drive then I would consider it to be close to death. First thing you should do now is backup anything that you don't want to loose, its impossible to say how much longer it will last!

Acronis True Image (I think it is called) is often mentioned on here and I believe this should do the job quite nicely of transferring everything onto a new drive. Personally, I wouldn't even bother trying to sort it out as hard drives generally aren't too expensive anyway.

You could try the drive manufacturer for test software, most decent one have it. However, as said above, if the drive is making grinding / bearing type noises I would already consider it as good as dead and concentrate on salvaging / saving as much as I can before it goes.

To answer your questions;

1) Is there a test I can do to see if Drive Failure is imminent? Your drive manufacturer should have a diagnostic program you can download and burn to a CD or floppy for testing the drive. If the drive is making a "grinding" noise there is no need to test it, it is on the way out.

2) Can I put a spot of thin oil on the bearing to make it quieter? No, you cannot repair a failing drive with a spot of oil.

3) If I have to replace the Drive, what software do I need to Copy the whole PC from one drive to another as I do not want to re-install everything. Most drive manufacturers have cloning software that you an download to clone your old drive to the new drive.

4) Any recomendations on a new (IDE) Drive? All hard drive manufacturers have problems with their drives from time to time. The only brand of drive I currently use is Westerrn Digital.

JennyJackson01

Account Closed
Hiya Paul.

If I suspect a hard drive is a bit noisy, I usually touch the end of a ruler onto the drives casing and the other end to my ear so I can listen to the noise it`s making which is then amplified through your head. It sounds strange putting it in word form but it works !

If you decide that the noise is coming from the drive, then it`s possible it`s on it`s way out as hard drives should run quietly so it looks like you`ve caught it just in time.

Computers are dust magnets at the best of times and putting oil onto a bearing just attracts even more of the fluffy stuff creating hot spots and potential overheating so I wouldn`t recommend that at all.

I`ve been using the clone option in an old version of Norton Ghost for years for system transfers but I`m sure other people could recommend other products so watch this thread ...

As far as what hard drive to go for, well it`s down to your personal preference really and as you obviously don`t use a great deal of the drive, there`s no need to go silly on the size even though they`re relatively cheap nowadays especially the old IDE format.

While it`s still up and running, it might be worth putting any files that are important to you onto a flash drive or DVD as a backup just in case the drive decides to suddenly fail therefore losing everything that on there.

Jenny

If you purchase a Western Digital or Seagate drive there is no need to purchase 3rd party software to clone the old drive to the new drive. Both Western Digital and Seagate have free versions of Acronis True Image you can download for cloning the drive.

craftee

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your replies, very helpful.

Extra thanks to win2kpro, I've purchased a Western Digital "Green" Hard Drive 1TB and downloaded the free Disk Imaging software.

I decided to buy a SATA Drive, because I thought it would be a good idea for the future, in case I get a new PC or upgrade my motherboard.

So I bought an adaptor to connect it to my IDE Cable, but it's not straight forward.

My adaptor only has a small connector to go on the Hard Drive, leaving the big connector on the drive unused, is this correct?

Also, I can find no way of setting the Drive to be a "Slave" while I clone my dodgy drive, then setting it to master, when It's in normal use.

Do you think I've done the wrong thing, should I have bought an IDE Drive?

Thanks again,

Paul

Tanis

Shane
Can't remember the details of the master / slave as I haven't done it for a while and I am at work, so can't look inside my own PC.

Does it look like this picture, top one in the pic is the drive, ignore the bottom one.

http://www.laptopparts101.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/hdd-vs-optical-drive-connector.jpg

In that picture you can see 3 connectors on the drive, from left to right they are:

Power connection (large L shape)
SATA connection (smaller L shape)
Power connection (standard 4 pin power)

You only need to use one of the power connections, either the newer L shaped one (if you PSU has those connectors) or the standard 4 pin.

Tanis

Shane
Hi Tanis,

Here is a picture of my Drive:-

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...tal-caviar-green-2tb-hard-drive-review-4.html

The only connection to the drive on my adapter kit goes onto the small connector around the middle of the drive (top left photo).

There is nothing else connected to the drive.

Regards,

Paul
Ahh OK (y) As Win2K has said, you need a Molex to Sata adaptor, this will then take the standard 4 pin power cable from your power supply and you can connect it to the other connector on the drive (which looks like a bigger version of the data transfer connection).

Having just rechecked my picture, it was wrong anyway, sorry about that. That isn't a Molex power socket on the right side of it .... oops.

craftee

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies.

It looks like my Adapter Kit is missing the Power Adapter. :(

I'll get one on Order from somewhere.

Only one question left :D How do I set Master or Slace settings for my SATA Drive?

I need it to be a slave to start with, then I'll Clone my existing Drive, remove it and set the SATA Drive up as Master.

Regards,

Paul

JennyJackson01

Account Closed
Hiya Paul.

Once you`ve sorted out your power and data leads, connect the data lead to SATA 1 on your motherboard and make sure the machine boots from your IDE in BIOS. When you`ve done the transfer you can set SATA 1 as 1st boot in BIOS. There are no master and slave settings as in jumpers, just the boot order (ie: SATA 1, SATA 2 ...)

Jenny

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online