Noisy Hard Drive in New Computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

andarot

Bigpockets AMD 64 Bit Dual-Core System
AMD64 x2 4600+ Dual-Core Processor
250Gb SATA 300 - OPTIARC DVD-RW AD-71

Just setting up new computer system. The hard drive is noisy - it rumbles a lot - mainly when performing an operation, but also occasionally when not asked to. [NB V. definitely "rumbling" not "clicking"]. Seems to work fine but just basically noisy - & so irritatingly so that if I can't solve it, I'll just have to get a new drive - [probably simpler than returning system]

Noticed on ebuyer that Hitachi drives have Acoustic Power Management utility - that helped me identify drive above - but won't work for it. Am wondering whether anything similar for above drive, wh. I presume is a Sony. Any thoughts?

Many thx for any help.

P.S. If I have to replace it, will a SATA2 drive work with the system?

Triple6

Rob
What hard drive do you have? It wouldn't be a Sony, maybe its a Western Digital, Seagate, Maxtor, Hitachi, or Samsung?

As for using a SATA2 drive, I'm sure you could - just look for one thats quiet; has a low db rating.

andarot

yeah -sorry that's DVD-rW!

looks like Seagate Barracuda ST3250823AS - any way to quieten that? thx for fast reply

andarot

bit more:

utility says Acoustic/ Power Management not supported!
8MB cache
Firmware revision: 3.03
Write Cache/ Read look-ahead enabled

Triple6

Rob
Its right AAM APM are not supported on the drive.

I assume the drive is properly mounted, screwed in tight in the bay?

andarot

& saw one suggestion for noise in reviews of drive (like "can of marbles"!) - "disable command queueing" in Device Manager" - but can't see how in either Vista/XP Sp2 -I'm Vista

andarot

can't get into puter without voiding guarantee - but will look if decide to swap drives - thx (v.confusing - some swear by & some swear at Seagate for quiet/noise)

andarot

thx - but no if I've got it right that's XP - & there's 0 comparable in Vista - or not for my drive - oh well, guess I'll have to get a new drive, clone & swap. Do you recommend a quiet sata drive? I think I'll go for the latest WD w 500GB. But you see contradictory opinions in buyer reviews on every make!

Many thx for trying

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online