1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Noisy hard drive on new laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Morthian, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morthian

Morthian Thread Starter

I just purchased a new notebook computer. The hard drive seems to be constantly making an annoying sound (like several times per minute) even when the HD isn't really active. It sounds like a noisy CD drive switching tracks or struggling to read a disc. It's not absurdly loud, but it can still be easily heard from about 20 ft away in a quiet room. What is this noise?

I called for a replacement, but its going to take weeks to get it, and I fear the new laptop might have the same problem. I have never heard a laptop make noise like this before.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's pretty hard to conclude anything from what you have said. How can you be sure it is the hard drive, expecially when you say that "the HD isn't really active"? There is really no time when a machine is running that the hard drive is not active. Data is being exchanged at all times.

Are there any CD's in the bay? Does the cooling fan make a distinctly different noise? How does the drive light act during the times you hear this noise?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920359

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice