Noisy hard drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

golddust

Hubby and I have the exact same computer a Gateway GT5464. My hard drive is so quiet I can barely hear it's soft whirring when running. Hubby's on the other hand is very noisy - with an occasional scraping sound (just lasts for a second). It's been this way for a while (the scraping sound is new today). And lately, his Firefox browser is taking forever to load (he gets the 'frame' but the content is slow to load). The computer is running a dual boot (XP and Linux Mint). The computer is six years old and get very light use - surf the net and checking his email is about all he does. Mine runs MS Office 2010 and is really a work horse, yet it is running fine. Could his hard drive be failing? It seems to run better in Linux though so I'm really confused. It's noisy no matter which OS is loaded though.

Also, I tried to run Seatools for Windows to check the drive; but it hangs at the "scanning for supported drives window".

crjdriver

If it passed all tests [both long and short] Then the drive is probably ok [I say probably because I have had drive pass all tests and still be the cause of problems]

There may be some spyware, malware, etc that is causing the system to slow down and the drive to run constantly. Have you posted a log in the security forum? If not, then do so and have someone check it for you.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online