noisy hard drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jules_fc

My hard drive is loud and erratic whenever Diskeeper 2008 is running or performing a defrag, is this normal? Why is the programs process dkservice.exe such a memory hog? I use Windows XP SP3

Your system uses a sort of program called "pagefile", which is in real terms is virtual RAM which writes on to your hard disk when your system uses up all your phisical RAM i writes virtual RAM on your hard disk. It's simply normal i reccomend you close all applications and anything you are doing then try using disk keeper good luck.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The unfortunate thing about having Diskeeper 2008 installed in a computer is that it runs in the background all the time. It's not recommended to disable it from loading and running because it may resist you trying to start it manually.

How much RAM do you have in that computer?

Virtual memory(the page file) should be set to "System managed size" in Windows XP.

---------------------------------------------------------------

jules_fc

I have 4 GB's of RAM physically installed but Windows only recognizes 3.12 GB's.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
That's normal. The 32-bit version of XP and Vista won't recognize and use more than 3.0 - 3.5 GB of RAM, depending on the type of display adapter and how much memory it uses. That's why you don't usually see new computers for sale with more than 3.0 GB of RAM, unless the operating system is 64-bit. I've noticed that more and more new computers are being sold now with the 64-bit version of Vista.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online