1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Noisy Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Irvgra, Apr 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Irvgra

Irvgra Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have owned a Hewlett Packard laptop (Model - HP G7000) for approximately 4 years. It has been a good laptop but sometimes can be very noisy. I'm not sure if this is the fan or the hard drive. I suspect it is the fan as there has been no degradation in performance of the laptop (although it does freeze occationally). The noise can also be quite loud when playing certain memory intensive games. The noise sounds like a typical fan/"whirring" noise. My wife has described it as sounding like a hovercraft! Can a fan be taken out and cleaned, resulting in reduced noise levels? Does anyone know if changing the fan is a simple job for a competent DIY enthusiast? Any idea how much a new fan would cost?
    Grateful for any advice!
    Thanks.

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Not many laptops offer an easy-change fan. I recommend you blow out all of the ventilation ports to remove dust from the cooling system. Frankly, I have no confidence that canned air is sufficient for the job. The pressure just in not enough. I use a shop-grade air compressor for such a job with at least 40 to 45 pounds pressure; but, be careful to not overs-pin the fans. If you can prevent their spinning by inserting a paper clip, that would be great.

3. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

I find that if I turn the laptop off and then blow into where the air usually comes out (On the sides of the top of the laptop) then it has an opposite effect of the fan flow meaning that dust is easily dislodged and comes out of the intake grille. This means that the fan can spin better and also will allow smoother and more airflow.

Jack-O-Bytes

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/992244

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice