1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Nokia Data Suite and Xircom converter BIG trouble!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Philister1980, Jan 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Philister1980

Philister1980 Thread Starter

Hi!

I've got a problem concerning the connectivity between my laptop and my Nokia 6110 mobile phone:
    My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite 1730CDT and does NOT have a built-in serial port. But I want to connect my mobile phone to the laptop, which is possible via the Nokia Data Suite 3.0 (NDS) - and only via the Nokia included DAU-serial cable! So I bought a USB-to-9pin-Serial converter from Xircom to plug the Nokia Data Suite 3.0 DAU cable into it. This converter device works wonderful and my Windows ME on my laptop recognizes the COM port properly. It even can emulate a DOS-COM port! Great hardware!!
    But... during the installation routine of the Data Suite, NDS detects my mobile phone (Nokia 6110) properly, but the driver installation fails and NDS always tells me that the physical connection failed! The USB-to-serial converter works fine with my system and I've tried every COM-port with the NDS, but it won't accept the connection. Why is that so, and is there another solution for me to use NDS with my laptop?!
    Thanks for any help!

2. Sponsor

3. LarryCore

LarryCore

After the port is installed and working, does it show up in Device Manager under ports? If so, what port is it? Is that port an option in the NDS software?

------------------
    Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech:
    LarryCore begs for money

4. Philister1980

The Xircom USB-Serial converter is showing up as COM1 under devices. But I can change this setting with one mouseclick. The NDS software itself generates a "port" in the device manager, which usually is set one number higher than the Xircom adapter... So if the converter tells my laptop that it's got COM1, NDS creates a COM2 port... darn it

5. Philister1980

Ok forget it: Xircom just wrote me an email telling me it would be impossible to use the Nokia connection kit and the Data Suite software together with the Xircom converter connected to the USB port! That'd be because the Nokia stuff is not USB compatible and creates its own COM port, disabling the Xircom port. F**K! Spent so much money for NDS and this device... NOKIA GO TO HELL FOR THIS!

6. LarryCore

LarryCore

Sorry to hear that. Don't know why they would have written their software like that - it doesn't make much sense.

Maybe they will release an update some day...

------------------
    Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech:
    LarryCore begs for money

7. Steven715

Steven715

I am having a simaler problem My USB Convirter works great but when i set up Nokia Data Suite 3.0 it detects the phone but will not connect in the actuial software i even have tryed to upgrade to 3.0b
    And i have tryed the Ussless windows Compatiabley wizard whitch dont work and i have even tryed a propper com port on the computer! Please can some one help i as i am trying to connect my Nokia 5110 so i can use it as a Modem when i am on holiday!

8. Steven715

Steven715

I managed to get a System Report on this and have got a picture of it so you can see. I hope this helps.

Attached Files:

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/35087

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice