1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

nomad

Discussion in 'Networking' started by nomad, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nomad

nomad Thread Starter

I have win2k with a 4port linksys router. And I want to access my computer from work. I have disabled dhcp and I have give myself a static IP I have also so forwarded all incoming info from my wanip to my private IP (192.168.1.2) I have also block my WAN request under filters on my router setting. I think I have done everything I was supposed to do. Then downloaded tightvnc, installed it and went to the menu and clicked on "launch tightvnc server. Everything seemed to work then I went to my browser on another computer and typed in my IPaddres + 5800 then the vnc authentication screen come up, I typed in my password and it says "network error no route to server" does anybody know what this means, if so do you know how to fix it? Or do I have to run something eles along with it, or do I have to make other settings on my computer. Thanx

2. Rockn

Rockn

Why not leave everything on and only forward the ports that are needed for tightvnc? Can you set the VNC up in the router as a service like web server or an FTP server. It seems like you are doing everything correctly, but the port may be the problem.

3. nomad

nomad Thread Starter

When you say "why not leave everything on and only forward the ports that are needed for tightvnc? I think thats what I done, didn't I. As far as setting up VNC in the router as a service like web server or an FTP server. Could you tell me how to do this.

Thanks

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I run tightVNC here, and I don't disable DHCP or any of that stuff. Since your router should always assign the same IP to a MAC address as a rule, it's never been an issue. If the router didn't do that, DHCP would be pretty worthless, since all the port forwards are done to IP addresses. I just opened up 5800 and 5900 for UDP and TCP, and it works. FWIW, I run VNC as a service, it's an option when you install it.

BTW, you just type your IP address into the window, the 5800 is assumed. I just type the xx.xx.xx.xx into the IP, enter my password, and away I go. I use tightVNC for customer support at several sites, works like a champ. :)

5. Toddles18

Toddles18

You only have to type the :5800 when you view it in a web browser.

6. JohnWill

Yep, I just do both so I can use either method. :)

7. nomad

nomad Thread Starter

I have tried everything to get this TightVNC going. Everyone I talk to says it great. Well I am totally frustrated. I have tried everything I can think of then some to now avail. Any body that has been following this do they have any other ideas. Also I was thinking of uninstalling TightVNC and re-installing it but it says you shouldn't uninstall if you are running it as a service. I dont know how to tell if I am running it as a service and if I am how do I stop this. Someone please help.

Signed frusterated

8. JohnWill

You can go to CP/Admin Tools/Services and see if tightVNC is running as a service. I don't know what the "don't uninstall if running as a service" is all about, I've done that with no ill effects. In Services, it'll be under VNC Server, and you can just stop it and then uninstall.

9. JohnWill

It would be very helpful if you could tell us what indications you get, since I have no idea where your problems are. Have you tried it on a local network first, just to get the "feel"? What are you trying to do with it, and what doesn't work?

10. nomad

nomad Thread Starter

Can I run the view from another computer on my net work (peer to peer) or do I have to turn "allow loop back connections on". How do you use it on a local network. The only indication I get is "network error no route to server" . I am trying to access my home computer from work with my web browser. I get to my logon screen and everthing is ghosted except options. then I login and I get the error I just mentioned above. TightVNC seems to be hard to configure is there any easier software that I can use to accomplish the sam thing. By the way I am running win2k I dont know if this makes a difference or not.

Thanx

11. JohnWill

Well, I ran the tightVNC installation program, entered my server password, and started using it! I have no idea what's happening in your case. If you don't have any firewalls blocking the access, and you're using the correct IP address, it should find the server. FWIW, you don't even have to install the client, it's just an executable that runs as is.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119514

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice