1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

non-deletable empty folder

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gaimer, May 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gaimer

gaimer Thread Starter

I was using Kazaa until they came out with spyware free Kazaa-Lite. The b3d projector folder in c:windows/system can be moved, renamed, but not deleted. Its contents are 5 empty folders. They are somehow write protected. I tried the b3d killer and deleted some registry entries but still cant delete the empty folders. It probably wouldnt hurt to leave them but nondeletable folders are driving me insane. Any ideas?

2. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Are these on an NTFS formated drive?

If so, there might be security settings to keep them from being deleted.

Check the settings and also check out the ownership of the files.

You might also be able to kill them by going through the command prompt. Open command prompt.
    Type in cd windows.
    then Cd system
    then RD /s b3d

3. gaimer

gaimer Thread Starter

I'm using XP pro and this folder is used by the operating system so i cant modify it. Help!!!!

4. gaimer

gaimer Thread Starter

Thx for the input. Perhaps its my ignorance of xp that stumped me. I slaved the drive to a 2k drive, granted permission to delete, and it was gone! There are a bunch of other folders with names like '$NtUninstallQ315403$'. I have no acess to them either. Should I leave these alone?

5. Slithy Tove

Slithy Tove Guest

This looks like one of possibly several files which would be required to back out a patch/fix you have applied. There could even be some HUGE uninstall files if you upgraded to XP from another OS and selected the option to save the old files. I took all my uninstall files and moved them to a different drive to make sure the OS didn't need them. After a while, knowing my system was stable and I would not ever need to back out a particular fix, I just deleted them permanently.

fwiw- Any time you see a file you cannot identify try right-clicking on it then select properties. Many times there will be some information which will trigger a recollection.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/78712

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice