1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Non Delivery - ???????

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by ronaar, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ronaar

ronaar Thread Starter

I have been getting multi emails from a few colleagues as it appears they get non delivery messages. The mails are coming thro perfectly but the senders are not aware of this.
    These are incoming mails to a private address for my website [email protected] on the Streamline.net server and the messages state they cannot connect to the domain aeniorsgolf.org.uk - please note the difference in spelling.
    My colleagues have checked the spelling at their end and even used the reply function on mails sent by myself.
    but it somehow changes by itself.

I have checked everything at my end and have contracted Streamline.net support who indicate that this must be at the senders end. This happens on both my desktop and laptop and with OE6 and Thunderbird. I have tried it myself sending a test mail from my BTinternet account to the seniorsgolf account and this non delivery message still arrives although all the mail comes through.

Surely there must be some whizz kids or psychics on the forum who may have some idea.

2. Rockn

Rockn

Try sending an email to the incorrect email address and see if it goes through. I would say that there is something set up incorrectly at your mail host the client would not change any of this.

3. ronaar

ronaar Thread Starter

Thanks Rockn,

I tried but the test mail could not be delivered. I have notified Streamline and am waiting on a reply. They have had me sending my client setups back and forward for a couple of days.

4. ronaar

ronaar Thread Starter

Sorry no light at the end of the tunnel.

I raised a support ticket with Streamline.net but it has been the same checking and sending my cliuent set ups looking for the misspelt email address.

Mails come in and out using my settings so that tells me that they must be correct. The production of the non delivery messages is over and above the normal working of the emails on that account. I have been getting very annoyed about the situation when all support do is ask to check and/or send a copy of the settings. My lack of knowledge of the workings of servers makes me wonder if it is possible fo rsomeone to have added a duplicate account with the misspelt address possibly during maintenance or similar so that there are two accounts - one correctly spelt and one wrong.
    if this was the case then could the correct one let the mails pass and the wrong one trigger the not delivered message. I am getting.

Anyone know if that scenario is possible

What an imagination

5. Rockn

Rockn

You might want to have them check their address books for a misspelled display name or even a cached auto-fill email address. A display name of [email protected] will still get delivered if the underlying email address is correct. Most people will not notice and auto-filled email address is incorrect and will still send out the email.

Just trying to think out of the box here.

6. ronaar

ronaar Thread Starter

Thanks Rockn,

With my suggestion Streamline have finally got moving and come up with a similar explanation. They have had me take screenshots of my client setup and post on my webspace. They now say I can have the possibility of two accounts on the server checked. I fail to understand why it has taken a week to get things moving. My idea of two accounts was partly in jest rather than hope. I run a golf league for 16 clubs and can have a lot of incoming mails so it could be a big exercise to ask the senders of incoming mails to check their address books. There a quite a number who have complained about the undelivery message - two many for me to assume that they can all be at fault.

7. Rockn

Rockn

Adding another address will take care of it, but what happens when a member enters another incorrect address and you have to cater to their mistake as well. Why are people so lazy?

8. ronaar

ronaar Thread Starter

I posted the screenshots on my webspace and after all this time Streamline reply that 'Now we can see your configuration please let us have your outgoing settings' I have sent my settings to them on numerous occasions during the last week and have done so this morning but not as a screenshot.

Your solution to add another address would mean sending a change note of the existing one which I have used for 14 years to maybe a couple of hundred golfers.

I am now treating the service as an insult and will look at some other providers. So much for
    paying £75 biannually when I could get a free host.
    Any recommendations

9. ronaar

ronaar Thread Starter

Rockn,

Would changing email address still work in my situation when it is the domain part which is being spelt wrong
    - [email protected].

Additionally if I migrated to another provider would i be able to keep the same domain name or would the current problems follow me.

10. Rockn

Rockn

Changing the domain name would mean that you would also have to own that domain. You can change your email domain to anywhere you like. You can move it to Google fairly easily. I doubt the problems follow you unless it was an end user issue.

11. ronaar

ronaar Thread Starter

Sorry Guys for no progress.

Streamline have now asked me to change my outgoing server settings by unticking the box 'Use the same settings as my incoming server' and to enter my user name and password - which is the very same thing.

It does that the support team have no idea.

Take Note if ANYONE IS THINKING ABOUT STREAMLINE.

Rockn thanks for taking the time to add your advice.

12. Rockn

Rockn

Why not move to a different email host? Gmail hosts domains, but it does run around $50 a mailbox per year

13. ronaar

ronaar Thread Starter

Thanks,

I don't think I have any alternative. Thanks again.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028940

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice