Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

non genuine to genuine installation

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  techhelpforum 
#1 ·
I have a PC which has non genuine Win 7 Home Edition installed . I have purchased a retail Win 7 Pro Edition which I intend to install on the pc.. is it as simple as installing Win 7 through my cd drive and updating my system. My pc runs a dual core 3Ghz processor , 64 bit, and 8gig Ram. I'd like to try this installation myself ,,, but unsure of the difficulty in doing so, any suggestions would be appreciated. Tom

#2 ·
It should be as simple as you describe
however , I would run belarc www.belarc.com and http://www.piriform.com/speccy
to check all the hardware on the PC
And copy the information onto an external device - so you have as a reference

also goto the manufacturers website and download all the drivers - as you may need some of these after the install

The PC currently works OK on the non-genuine W7 - as is fully compatible - correct?

Also all you programs and data will be removed - so make sure you have a good backup of any data and the installation kits for any programs that you have on the PC , that are not part of the standard W7 system

there are plenty of youtube videos on installing windows 7 - soit would be worth having a look at a few of those to see what happens

#3 ·
Here is a good pictorial guide for doing a clean install of Windows 7 that you might want to get familiar with before you start.

http://www.blackviper.com/os-install-guides/windows-7-install-guide/

------------------------------------------------------------

Since your computer has 8 GB of RAM, I'm going to assume that you purchased Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

Does the disc say if it contains Service Pack 1?

------------------------------------------------------------

#5 ·
Thanks guy's for your response to my question !
I will reply back, in order of helps,,

Etaf, I did as you suggested and used Belarc to get all my PC info,, I already have SIW installed and got similar info there. I have it stored on my portable hard drive, thanks.
My PC has been working great for two years since I had a major upgrade done, and I've been using win 7 since then.

Flavallee, Thanks for link to the install guide, It looks easy there hahahah,,
Yes my new software is Win 7 Professional SP1. I dont expect any problems as all is working ok now.

Dave Burnett,, I like your idea to carry out a " repair " .. as you mention, I would lose all my installed programs if i do a clean install. I have a lot of software installed, Norton, Nero, Win Zip,, etc..it would be a real pain to have to re-install the lot. I have the disc to my software in case I loose them . and I will back everything up beforehand.

Do you think there will be any issues with re-connection to my wi-fi network,, as in, will windows config this automatically on installation of the new win 7 ? I WI-FI to my laptop and printer .

Any further advice is gratefully accepted.

You have all given me the confidence that i was looking for to do this one,, I usually resolve my PC problems myself and generally have success,, but this time I thought it best to get expert advice, and i thank you all for your help .

If there is anything else I should be wary of please let me know , I will wait a few more days before i attempt this ..

kind regards,
Tom

#6 ·
Why did you think the version you had was illegal if you have been running it for two years and getting updates?

I ask because my machine suddenly said (Wednesday) that my version of Win7 was not valid. It is a known problem and does not normally need a re-install. I cracked it in 30 minutes - but I don't know which fix worked. It usually involves re-running the WGA stuff and re-typing your code to re-activate.

#7 ·
ummm, when my PC had its upgrade, my friend installed win 7 ultimate for me, I was using win milenium .. and because of my new dual core processor he said i could now run win 7...
his installation was not genuine and I have not been running updates.. :eek:
recently i decided that i really should get genuine !:eek:
my system is still working fine,, it's just that i can afford genuine now and feel I should do so,
ps im' running 64 bit.
regards tom

#8 ·
Well I've done a little research and found that you can convert a pirate version into a genuine version without re-installing.
However there are restrictions and dangers.
First the danger: The pirated edition may have been corrupted, and without updates will certainly have been vulnerable.

Make up your mind which edition you have ;) Earlier you said it was Home Premium, now it is Ultimate. Also you say you have bought retail Professional. One of the restrictions is that you are only allowed to do a repair update with EXACTLY the same edition that was installed (and I think that applies to Retail vs OEM as well as the others).

There are two ways of converting a pirate edition to a genuine one.

The first is to ring the number that is supplied when you are told it is NOT Genuine and points to How to get a genuine one. This involves ringing Microsoft with payment card handy, and they will supply you with a genuine key for the edition you have installed. The payment is usually lower that the full retail price. I can't remember whether they send you the correct DVD or whether you have to get it from a trusted source on-line (Digital River used to be one and Microsoft Technet/MSD is a limited one)

The second is to use a genuine DVD and use the key from that. As I have already said, the key MUST be for exactly the same edition that is installed. You can, in this case, use the DVD to repair install the version you have which is a good idea if the old one is not at SP1).

If the versions are different, you have no choice but do a clean install.

If the version you DO have installed is the Ultimate one, I suggest you do a clean install, having backed up the old partition to an external drive temporarily so you can have access to your data and a list of programs installed. Do not leave this plugged it during the fresh install till you have the basic Windows running, and delete it once you have everything installed.

If the version you have installed is Home Premium, I suggest you sell the Pro DVD and licence, and get the Home Premium one so you can use the new key and do a repair.

#9 ·
YIKES ... Thanks Dave for your direct approach to my problem.
Sorry about the mis -information regards which edition I am using.. my laptop is win 7 home edition,,
My PC which I want to resolve is running WIN 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
The Retail version which I purchased is WIN 7 PRO SP1 32 and 64 bit.
it seems like my only option is to do a clean install .
which I don't really mind, it's a good chance to clean out my hard drive any way....and start afresh :)
I was told that I cant buy WIN7 products any more from Microsoft or agents,,eg Harvey Norman, , Microsoft has withdrawn them from sale as they want us to buy WIN8 only. I dont see the point in getting WIN 8 if I'm not using a touch screen, and I dont like the idea of having to lean over my desk to operate it , if i did have a touch screen,, not to mention the greasy fingerprints problem that would also be an issue. specially as i love my milk and cookies while surfing,, hahaha

I look forward to hearing from you Dave, you are a Gem !
kind regards,
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.