1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

non matching memory sticks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tmpots, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tmpots

tmpots Thread Starter

I added 1 gb of ram to my XPS m140 Dell laptop. After I put it in - it started up and works great. BUT - I just looked on the Dell website and it said that the memory sticks have to match. I have 1 gb and one 512 mb stick in there now - what will happen if I run it like this -- I guess I could order another 1 GB stick but will it hurt the computer to run it without matching sized memory? Help!

2. walters4

walters4

What 're the features of the RAM you purchased ?
    Is it PC2-3200 ?

3. tmpots

tmpots Thread Starter

4. walters4

walters4

Also , forgot to ask you ..what're the features of your 512 mb RAM ?

Is it similar ? and what brands ? (both the new one and old )

5. tmpots

tmpots Thread Starter

The old ram is Samsung 512 mb 2R x16 PC2 4200 - 444 (that's what it says on the memory stick) each stick - installed by Dell - the new is
    from Memory UP and is PC2 4200 SODIMM DDR2 533 mhz

6. walters4

walters4

Are you having any stability problems ?

Also the 533 Mhz will now be read as 444 by your system ..because it usually takes the lower ram speeds..

Don't worry about damaging your motherboard or anything like that ..because only a defective piece can do that ..yours as you mentioned works great..so no problems there..

7. tmpots

tmpots Thread Starter

No stability problems at all - where would I find (in my computer) that the computer is reading 444 instead of 533? Do you think I should replace the 512 mb with another 1 Gb and can I order the exact same kind of memory which I think is under my keyboard - and I am a little leary about lifting the keyboard to find the old memory. If I leave the 1 GB one in can I remove the 512 mb and not hurt the computer - then put another 1 GB in?

8. walters4

walters4

hmm for your first question ..check ..your ram speeds through cpu-z (a software utlity to acquire system information)..
    From what i knwo PC2-4200 is actually 533 mhz too and not 444mhz..

I guess its a different sort of reading for notebooks..not so sure..

and yea if your not too sure about upgrading RAM yourself because you don't want to harm your laptop ..ask your technician or a service centre..

If there are no stability problems ..you should have no problems with the current RAM settings..hope i was helpful enough..

9. tmpots

tmpots Thread Starter

thank you for all of your help :)

10. pshnfry

pshnfry

Why you would install matching memory is to utilise dual channel memory - it doubles the memory bandwidth. (The XPS M140 supports dual channel memory according to the owners manual).

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/680651

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice