1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

non-reading of Nero burned CD's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shelley, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shelley

shelley Thread Starter

This is a problem which has got gradually worse. Initially, the CD/RW drive was very slow in reading burned data, it would spin and spin until it finally read something. Then, especially with large files, it would read part of it and then give up with a reciprocity failure message. Now, it doesn't even see the disks at all! I also have a DVD drive and it's the same story there. It doesn't see the disk. However, the same CD's read without problem on other machines and I can still play CD-ROMS in either drive. These fire up immediately and play fine. I'm burning with Nero 5.5.9.14 on a W2K machine. Is it the burning or the reading that's the problem, or both?

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Are you packet writing the cd's useing nero's InCD? InCD can cause a bit of havoc.

Another question is if you are finalizing the cd during the burning process.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If the same cdr reads ok in another system, you most likely are not using INCD [which I agree is a pain]

Do you have the drives set to use DMA? You can check in device manager under properties for the ide channel the drives are connected to.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One other thought. If you have both drives on one channel, you might try changing that around so the one drive is the slave on ide1 and the other drive is on ide2.

5. shelley

shelley Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. What's "packet writing"? I have InCD loaded but I simply fire up the Nero link and the double window opens up after going through the wizard. Then I select, burn and ensure the box is ticked to check the data. After it confirms the data was written correctly I also read the disk using Explorer. Does that cover finalizing?

For the Primary IDE Channel >
    Device 0: Transfer Mode = DMA if available / Current Transfer Mode = Ultra DMA mode
    Device 1: Transfer Mode = DMA if available / Current Transfer Mode = PIO mode

For the Secondary IDE Channel >
    Device 0: Transfer Mode = DMA if available / Current Transfer Mode = PIO mode
    Device 1: Transfer Mode = DMA if available / Current Transfer Mode = PIO mode

I presume they are using separate channels but how can I tell?

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It looks like your drives are not set to dma. First make sure they support dma and then select dma for the transfer rate. This will speed up copy / read / access times.

7. shelley

shelley Thread Starter

Do you mean set DMA for the Current Transfer Rate? I'm not able to select this. How do I check if they support DMA?

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have to check the mfg of the drive. Check their web site to see if it supports dma.

9. shelley

shelley Thread Starter

They seem to be generic, bog-standard drives. One is an TX Venus II / ATAPI DVD-ROM 16XMax and the other is a CD-RW CDR-6S48, no idea what make. I went to Driverguide.com but nothing turned up in their search for either. But have we not lost the plot here? These drives worked quite happily... and now they don't. Therefore, logically, they must have been ok to begin with, dma or no dma. The question is, why don't they read properly now? Have the drivers, or whatever, been currupted? Is it a virus of some sort that my AV cannot see or has messed up on removal? Would a re-install of some kind help? Both these drives are currently useless and I really do need to get them working. Any more ideas?

10. daDarek

daDarek

Hey guys, I was actually looking for a solution to the same problem, and I came across this post. I also have a DVD ROM that won't read burned cd's, and all the burned CD's I am trying to read were also burned using either Nero 5 or Nero 6. They were burned on a different PC than the one one which I am having the problem. In addition to not reading The DVD drive is a Liteon LTD163.

The list of funny problems goes on, and I'm starting to think that it's just a really crappy, cheap Dell drive. The drive won't read some DVD's, and it gives me an error saying that the drive might be corrupted or it's using a format that's not compatible with Windows (even though on a different Windows machine the DVD runs just fine). Other DVD's it won't even recognize. When you try to open the disk to just see the files, it says to insert a disk into the drive.

The only thing that I can think of right now, is that the version of windows that's installed right now is corrupted, but this is probably not the problem. A relative of mine asked me to see if I can fix the problems, but there were several other people who tried fixing the problem before, so I don't know what they did to it.

The computer has absolutely no antivirus software installed, so there is a possibility that it could be some kind of virus, although I doubt it. I'll see Norton will catch anything that will hopefully solve the problem.

Reformatting the machine will be my last resort. I'll get back to you guys if I do finally solve this problem........

Thanks!

11. shelley

shelley Thread Starter

Well, I'm still having no joy and I still can't use these drives to read recently Nero-burned CD's (I can actually read older burns). Can anyone recommend another freebie burner I could try? The machine I burn on runs on W2k.

I hope you have more success than me.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327678

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice