1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Non responsive computer

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Siazul, May 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Siazul

Siazul Thread Starter

Hey everybody this is my first post on Techguy,

The reason Im posting is because My Laptop, which ive had for about a year now, Is an HP dv1000 model if I remember correctly( im in the library right now) and when I went to turn it on saturday afternoon all it did was turn on and stay on a black screen, it did not respond to me pressing any button at all and even my wireless usb mouse didnt get signal. I left it on untill the batter ran out to see if that worked and when I turned it back on it was still the same. I also tried putting a music CD in but that didnt affect it at all. Sorry if this is in the wrong section but Im not sure where the problem is coming from.

Thanks in advance

Mario

2. vicks

vicks

When my daughters laptop did this type of thing, we had to replace the cmos battery. Everything worked fine again...
    Vicks

3. Siazul

Siazul Thread Starter

Was it expensive? did they tell you why it messed up? where did you get it fixed

Thanks

4. Siazul

Siazul Thread Starter

anyone

5. vicks

vicks

I went on line to the computer mfg. downloaded the schematic and our son-in-law followed that and replaced it himself. Bought the battery at Walmart.
    So cost was about $2.00.(USD) The batteries are like anything else, limited life.... (this battery is round/flat like watch battery, but larger.

vicks

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

My guess is that it's not the cmos battery.

What happens if you take the battery pack out, and try to turn it on with the adapter plugged in?

Also, is there a button on the keyboard to turn the monitor off/on? Or to increase or decrease the brightness? When it starts up, do you hear any beeps at all?

7. Siazul

Siazul Thread Starter

Im at work right now so this afternoon ill see what happens with the battery out and the adapter plugged in.

my laptop doesnt have a off/on switch or brightness switch. I used to get beeps when it was starting but nothing now, just comes on and makes no noise

8. ~Candy~

No fan noise, nothing?

9. vicks

vicks

Go by what AcaCandy tells you. He/she has MUCH MORE experience with this stuff than I have. Have learned a lot from the different posts made..
    vicks

10. ~Candy~

I'm a she :) And thanks for the kind words. I've been wrong many times as well ;)

11. Siazul

Siazul Thread Starter

No, I dont remember hearing the fan

12. ~Candy~

Well, THAT is NOT a good sign :(

Also, try more than one wall outlet, just in case something is wrong with the power coming from it.

13. Siazul

Siazul Thread Starter

Im about to head home and Ill try what you told me, one ? though, I thought the fan only turned on when the laptop overheated or just got hotter?

14. Siazul

Siazul Thread Starter

AcaCandy,
    I tried connecting it directly to an outlet, three of them, with the battery off and the problem continued. I took it to best buy geek squad and when they did the same thing it worked, I logged in and it was fine. They told me to shut it down and I should be fine when I got home. Wrong, I tried to turn it on when I got home and again it acted up. Should I just leave it with them and let them fix it? I bought this laptop, HP dv2000 i was mistaken on first post, last august so it should still have a warranty right? let me know b/c I just want to do whats easier.

Thanks for all your help
    you too Vicks, thanks

15. ~Candy~

If it worked at BestBuy, I'm going to assume something is wrong with the power coming into your outlets.

I have had similar problems with power here in Mexico. Sometimes it's too high :eek: and that results in some blown up equipment :mad: and sometimes it's too low, and stuff won't power on. I'd have an electrician come out to your house.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/709848

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice