non system disc error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cgarfourme

have ibm 380ed. have reformatted drive c: I am able to boot from boot disk, but when prompted to reboot to win98 OEM receive non system disc error.
HELP!
THANKS!

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi and welcome....

Did you get Windows installed onto the hard drive? And if so, are you removing the floppy disk from the floppy drive before rebooting?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Email from poster (it'll be easier if you reply back to the thread as I may be away)

Nope, did not get windows installed and yes I did remove the floppy.

Thanks!

Then that is the reason you are getting that error message. There is nothing on the hard drive to boot to........are you able to use the floppy drive and cdrom at the same time? Have you tried running setup.exe to install windows?

cgarfourme

after I boot up via the startup disc I go to the CD ROM and go to setup.exe. It then goes to win98 setup, I hit enter and am prompted to remove floppy and restart. It is at that time on the restart I receive the error.

Hope this helps!

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Once it goes into windows 98 setup, does it appear to do a normal install? Usually you aren't asked to remove disks until it finishes......Is this a full Windows 98 install cd?

cgarfourme

I can't even get it to that point. (installing that is) yes this is a full install CD. (Compaq OEM)

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
I thought you said you had an IBM machine? You aren't going to be able to use a Compaq OEM Install CD on an IBM machine.........that's why it's OEM.....

cgarfourme

sorry, forgot about that reply thing.
so, I got hosed by the guy that sold it to me?
he said it would work in my machine!

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
That's ok, I reponded to your email too.....

I would think so.........the Compaq cd searches for the serial number of the computer it came with.......at least all of the ones I've seen do.......

I guess I'm wondering why you formatted the laptop to begin with.......what operating system used to be on it?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online