1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Non system disc error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fagin, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fagin

Fagin Guest Thread Starter

Could any one please help, my computer will not boot up, the computer froze wile i was using Lime wire for legal purposes, so i had to hit the re set button, but the computer would not reboot. it git to post because i heard the beep, but then i got a message saying, non system disc please remove and re boot. Then it just hangs, it will not boot at all, i think since i was using Lime wire, the problem is a virus, but how do i get rid of the virus if i cant boot up the computer?

The operating system is XP home, and ime using Avast anti virus.

Any advise would be more than welcome, thanks.

2. mt2002

mt2002

It kind of sounds like a filesystem problem to me.

You may need to run chkdsk and/or fixboot from the recovery console. This can be done by booting into the Windows XP CD. I can post more details a little later if you need it.

3. Fagin

Thanks mt2002, i did try the repair option using the XP disc, but it asked me which operating system i wanted to repair, which i dont understand because there is only one operating system on the hard drive.

So i wonder if it will do the same if i use chkdsk and/or fixboot, i would be well pleased if you could post the details though, and ile give it a go, thanks a lot. :)

4. arknorth

arknorth

What type of machine are we talking about here - a custom built, or a box package machine (Dell, HP, Gateway, etc), and if so, make and model please. If it is a boxed unit, it might be seeing the partition of the recovery drive as a second possible operating system.

A-N

5. mt2002

mt2002

The recovery console and the repair option are different.

Here is a nice guide on how to go into the recovery console

After going into the recovery console, type in the following command to fix the boot sector programs for Windows and hit <enter>
    Code:
    fixboot
    You will get a warning that this will overwrite the bootsector. Hit the y key to proceed.

Afterwords, you may want to run chkdsk to fix possible filesystem errors. This can be done by typing in the following command and hit <enter>:
    Code:
    chkdsk /r
    This will take a little while to run. After it completes, type in exit to restart the computer. Remove the CD and attempt to boot into Windows.

---

Assuming that the file system is the problem, running the repair option should also fix the problem so if the above fails to work, it may be another possible fix that may help :)

6. Fagin

Thanks arknorth, its a computer i built myself about 2 years ago.

Thanks mt2002, ile give that a shot first thing tomorrow, ile post back and let you know how it goes.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753015

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice