Non system disk error message

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

j_carmona

Hi all, it's my first time on this forum and I warn you that I am not a very techy person.
My problem is, I have got a Gateway 120 pentium (I know it's an antique but I haven't got right now the money to upgrade). A few weeks back I loaded Nestscape 6, as it was running very slow (probably because of my old PC) i decided to uninstall (Using McAfee uninstaller) and reinstall Nestscape 4. When I try to install it, i got a message saying that there was not enough space on my C:/Temp folder. So I went in and saw a lot of files that i did not recognised, so i had the "very good" idea to send them to the recycling bin. I finally managed to install Netscape 4 and it asked me to restart my PC. I did just that and it's when i got the error message (non system disk ... press key when ready). I have obviously deleted some important files. I have put a floppy boot disk in, and manage to get to the C: prompt, typed win95 but still get the same message. I know one solution is to format my C: drive and reinstall, but i don't want to lose my data (i know i should back up stuff but hard to do with a floppy disk only). Can anyone help me to restart my PC, or tell me how i could copy some file very important to me (on floppy) before to formate the HD.
Those are the specs:
Gateway 120 pentium
80 Mg of RAM
6.4 HD (partioned in 3 parts C, D, and E)
Running Wind 95

In advance thanks very much

J Carmona

Try this. Start the Computer with the Bootdisk. Be sure it it the correct version for your Windows. Do not use a Win98 if you run Win95.

At the A:\>

type this and press enter.

Sys C:
That should make the drive bootable. Try getting into Windows now.

j_carmona

I will, problem is I am work right now and because I only have one PC at home I can only try it later. In the meantime if anybody else have any more tips please feel free.

Thanks a lot for your help Mosaic1

J

You're Welcome.
It may also be that you deleted other files you need. Transferring the system files will make C a System Disk. However, I don't know what else you may be missing. You may not be able to get into Windows. If you can start Windows go to the Recycle Bin and see what's in there.

j_carmona

Thanks, do you think it would be a good idea to copy (via DOS) all the stuff sitting in my C:/Temp folder onto the root folder. By the way where does the REcycling bin sits on the system, i checked the one at work through Explorer and it says "C:/Temp" is this correct?

J

No. You definitely do not want to clutter your C Drive if you are using FAT16. Windows 95 Version?? If you use FAT 16 there is a limit to the number of files you can have on the Drive.(I think 512) You do not want to put anything there which is not needed. Emptying the contents of a Folder could lead to disaster.

I don't know what you did and did not delete. It would be best to take this one step at a time. First. Make C Bootable by performing the Sys C:

Second, see if Windows will Start.
If it does, go into the Recycle bin and See what you have in there.

If Windows won't start, or if you get error messages about missing files. Post back when you have access to a computer again.

I forgot to answer your question about the recycle bin. It 's on the C Drive. But you won't be able to help yourself in DOS. Only an experienced user would attempt a restore files from the Recycle Bin from DOS. The names of the Files and Folers are changed when assigned to the Bin and you wouldn't recognize them. It's best to leave that for when you get back into Windows.

j_carmona

Cheers, If not do you think i could transfer the content of my HD onto another HD or CD if i was using another computer? Then I will be ok to format my HD.

J

Try to get into Windows first. There are several ways to accomplish what you want if you have 2 Hard Drives. It's late here and I am about to call it a day. I don't really know how experienced you are. I don't want to tell you to do something and have you find that you don't have the information copied. I would do it like this. I would remove that hard drive and make it a slave on the primary IDE. I would put the other Hard Drive on as Master. Does the other Hard Drive have Windows installed? Has it been Formatted and fdisked? If so, you could do all this from Windows.

j_carmona

OK thanks for you help, I will the first thing you told to start with and take it from there. Thanks again.

J

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online