1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NoName PSU GOOD/BAD/Does it Matter?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jays_rule, Jun 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jays_rule

jays_rule Thread Starter

Hi, from what i've heard, a no name psu is often bad to your computer and you. Is that just a theory, or is it true?

2. Jack Horner

Jack Horner

No name PSUs are much more likely to fail than hi quality brand names. When they fail the results can be anything from an erratic computer (partial failure) to a dead computer with damaged internal boards.

3. techno_lust

techno_lust

There is this guy Name David Suzuki who is a well known nature- freak tree-hugger type. Anyone who has watched the discovery channel would probably know who I am talking about.

I happened to see an interview with him once on the tube where he was asked what he thought of TV. He said he thought TV was probably a good thing because it kept people indoors when they might otherwise be outside wreaking the environment.

In this same sense I think cheap no-name power supply units are a good thing.

Quite often they are the first component on a PC to fail which causes the owner to get more involved with their PC than just playing solitare. It also serves to strengthen the economy and push the evolution of newer PSU technology further ahead

4. Arcadion

Arcadion

I detect an element of Schadenfreude in your response :)

The powersupply is the most important part of a computer, a cheap powersupply will not provide as much power as it claims (e.g. a cheap 500W is only really 400W), and the voltages won't stay very close to what they should be. This will, at best, make your computer unstable and crash; at worst it will physically damage it.

5. Trebuchet

Trebuchet

don't touch that mouse! *slaps hand*

no-name PSUs are the Cheez Whiz of computing. go with something modular that will last you awhile.

cheers,

roger

6. Arcadion

Arcadion

Yes, putting a cheap PSU into your computer is like spraying Cheez Whiz into it, both will make a mess of the insides :)

7. dobbelina

dobbelina

Computer repair shops love cheap, no-brand, ultralight psu's !!!
    Is good business for them.
    I live in Thailand and has been into numerous computer stores.
    In here it's all made in China, i mean ALL !!
    They never heard of Antec when being asked.......

8. jays_rule

jays_rule Thread Starter

lol.. ok thnx guys.

9. Arcadion

Arcadion

I work in a computer repair shop... we don't sell the best ones as standard, as that would price us out of the market (well build new computers to order). But the ones we use aren't rubbish (we use Hyena and HighPower brands).

10. GripS

GripS

"no-name PSUs are the Cheez Whiz of computing. go with something modular that will last you awhile."

Dude. I love cheez whiz. But at the same time it's bad for me. So i guess your right. :)

11. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

It is sad to say that price drives the market; they've ruined a few power supplies and/or a few other components before they learn better.

But, then along comes another bunch of fools who have to learn the same lesson the same way and thus there is another wave of cheap power supplies being manufactured for the new wave of fools.

I came in on one of those fools' waves, myself. There are two kinds of power supply owners, those who came in on the fool's wave and then there are liars.

12. karnak

karnak

I like to follow the old adage,"You get what you pay for" :D

13. laramon

laramon

"The cheap comes out expensive" <- Remember that

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/373614

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice