1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

None of my programs run!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ministoat, Apr 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ministoat

ministoat Thread Starter

hi there, i'm a first time poster, and i'm a little nervous:) I really hope one of you guys can help me though, i have a severe problem with windows xp; apparently no programs are loading up!
    Well thats how it seems in the toolbar at least, but task manager shows all my usual progs as running. I have norton anti-virus, daemon tools, Pc boost all set to start with windows, and none of their icons appear. Also, when i try to open any program using the destop shortcuts, windows explorer crashes, and i am asked if i want to send an error report (bloody right i do, i'm gonna bombard those s***s at microsoft with them, windows shouldn't be doing this!) .

the error report details:
    AppName: explorer.exe AppVer 6.0.2800.1106 ModName:urlmon.dll
    ModVer: 6.0.2800.1400 Offset: 0000e92b

funny thing is that i can get my media players and net browser to run, by running a file that uses them through the task manager "New task(Run..)" option. If i pick an mp3 file, of a video file, i get winamp or videolan starting; i had an old net page saved, and that got me here!

any help would be much appreciated! :confused:

2. Firah

Firah

Hello, ministoat!

If it started to happen just recently, maybe you could try a System Restore.

3. ministoat

ministoat Thread Starter

i cannot actually run system restore because the shortcuts in the menu don't work- literally none of the programs are running through shortcuts:(

4. Firah

Firah

Shortcuts? Okay!

Reboot and press F8 to get to: Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

Type: C:\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Press Enter and follow instructions.

5. ministoat

ministoat Thread Starter

wow man, if that works i will love you 4 eva:) i got cakewalk running, and am now a bit distracted- will report back after i'm done tho, cheers!

6. Firah

Firah

Aaah! Come-on! :)

If that doesn't work because you don't have the restore points or whatever, then all I could advise is boot from XP CD and do a Repair Install of XP.

7. rude

rude

You can also try this:
    Click start/run

Type: SFC /scannow

Note the space between SFC and /

keep your xp cd handy in case you're asked to chuck it into your cd rom

8. ministoat

ministoat Thread Starter

..and there was me wondering why f6 wasn't running safe mode :D

in the end i just used partition magic to install another o/s ! the run commands didn't work, and i tried to run a system restore to all the available points in safe mode, but no avail. I am, according to a friend, a god of computer shambolics, so i may be back again soon!

thanks for your time guys!:)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!