1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Noob questions about DVD Writer / CD-ROM

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by mcbain221, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcbain221

mcbain221 Thread Starter

Hello -- forgive me for some truly doofus questions.

I dont quite understand how my two CD drives work. I'd like to figure out which drive to use for adding jpegs to a CD or DVD, and which drive to write DVDs. I've done both in the past but for some reason now it doesn't work as it used to.

System:
    HP Pavillion a1230n
    AMD 64 3700
    1.5 gigs RAM
    Windows XP-SP2

CD-ROM Drives:
    "E:" HP DVD Writer 740b
    "F:" Asus CD S480/A5

This pc also came bundled with "Lightscribe," some wierd application/device that prints or burns labels onto the surface of CD or DVD. I assume I can ignore this for now.

The drives work normally for opening/playing pc games (both from CD and DVD), audio CDs, etc.

Questions:

1) Easiest way to write pics or docs onto a CD?
    2) Does it matter if I use CD-R or CD-RW?
    3) Do DVDs work in either drive? To wite data onto a DVD, I assume I use DVD Writer 740b?
    4) Do CDs (either -R or -RW) need to be formatted or prepared for use?
    5) Disk drive "F" is labeled "CD-ROM' on the actual pc tower. Can I write data to CDs or DVDs using this drive?

Answers to these questions and any general input/guidance much appreciated!

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Use burning software or Windows XP's utility. Drag and drop and then select Burn to CD (or something to that effect) in the task pane.
    Yes. CD-R's are more reliable and should always be used for permanent data storage.
    You can only burn to a DVD in a DVD burner. I can't find any info on the Asus drive to verify whether or not it can read DVDs.
    No.
    I doubt it. Again, can't find any info on this drive on the internet. If it could write to CDs or DVDs, there would likely be some indication on the bezel.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540856

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice