1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Noob trying to Learn

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Pizzle07, Nov 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pizzle07

Pizzle07 Thread Starter

Hello all, I want to say I appreciate any help this may get me as I am trying to learn.

I have a handful of older network equipment that I have acquired and I am looking to set it up for uselessness and to try and teach myself some things. I have been spending hours trying to configure things and running into many roadblocks and I could use some help/guidance.

First thing which might be why I cannot make anything work is because I am trying to connect to my home Comcast Gateway. Could this be the cause? I feel like I have made headway, but get lost.

The Comcast gateway is 10.0.0.1. I have Cisco SG 200-08 connected to my gateway with the static IP 10.0.0.125. Next I have a Cisco SF200-24P (10.0.0.105) connected to each other. Both ports are amber, but connectivity is still flowing. I made them both trunk ports and no difference.

I have the SF 200-24P connected to a Cisco 2960S (10.0.0.106) that I can connect to as well.

What I am trying to achieve is getting the ports green and learning how to fix that. On top of that I am trying to connect a Cisco 4402 WLC and add access points to it. I have an AD and RADIUS server in Hyper-V.

The management port on the WLC is 10.0.0.100 and the AP-Manager is 10.0.0.101, but I cannot ping the management port which is connected to the 2960S via Fiber. All links are green so not sure the issue, but I never had any real experience so I am trying to learn. Unfortunately i have tried several things with no luck.

I know I need to make VLAN's but not sure how to configure them. I set the 2960 to VPT Version 3 and set it as the primary server. I created VLAN 5 and tried to create a VLAN interface 5 with IP 10.0.5.5 /24, but that didn't seem to do anything. I had the WLC Management port set to VLAN 5, but now it is set back to 1.

I know I have a lot going on here so I appreciate any input. I can post configs if needed, but didn't do that yet because of their size, but if parts or the whole thing is needed, let me know.

Thanks again!

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

From looking up information on Cisco's website on the SF200-24P, it's a 100Mbit PoE switch. So it would follow the port status on the SG200-08 would be amber to signify the downstream connected device is only running at 100Mbit instead of GigE which would have a green port status.

Did you check on the WLC to see if the port you're using is in a no shutdown state? I don't know much about the Cisco wireless products. I've configured one before but that was many years ago. So I can't help much here.

The protocol you're setting up for VLAN configuration propagation across all member switches is called VTP not VPT. From what I recall, it's pretty simple to set up. You'll find lots of configuration examples on Cisco's website. I personally don't use it both in my home lab/network and at work. The issue is it's real easy to screw something up and have that mistake propagate across your entire network. It's also deemed as a slight security risk.

As far as your attempt at VLAN configuration, you can't create what's called a SVI (switch virtual interface) on any of those switches. The reason is they're layer 2 switches and can't function as routers. You can however assign one IP address to a specific VLAN for management purposes. Since you've already assigned 10.0.0.106 to the 2960S, that's all you can do. Making an assumption, that IP is probably assigned to VLAN 1 on the 2960S. If you do want a switch with routing capability, you'll need a layer 3 switch. There's an in between switch that many companies are putting out which are layer 2 switches but will support very basic routing functions mainly via static route entries or with only RIP routing protocol.

3. Pizzle07

Pizzle07 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I have at least one router in my line of equipment which was another headache so I assumed I could use my home router and make the configurations with the switch, but it appears I cannot do so. I saw somewhere that the 2960s was layer 3, but now I realize it is not.

I guess I will need to get the router booted up and see what I can come up with. From what I do remember in classes that I have taken, I will need to setup encapsulation amongst other things. This will all be good practice.

Seems like there is a lot more I will need to do to get my WLC up and running. I feel like it should be pingable if I have them all on VLAN1.

Does it seem like it is even possible or am I wasting my time?

4. zx10guy

No. It's all possible. Since you're learning, I would have this as a separate environment so you're not causing service issues with your simple home network. I have my lab environment fully integrated with my home network side. I was able to do this without issue as I've been doing this stuff for a while. But when I do have to do a change to the network, some times it will cause a system wide outage for a few minutes.

Defining encapsulation is only needed in older IOS software. Cisco had their own proprietary VLAN protocol called ISL. In the older firmware you defined this over VLAN trunk ports. Now with the newer software, ISL isn't an option anymore and all trunk ports are defined as dot1q.

If you have a Cisco router you can trunk the network connection into it from one of the switches and then define your VLAN SVIs there to do your inter VLAN routing without having to buy a layer 3 switch.

5. Pizzle07

Pizzle07 Thread Starter

When I am working on this I am the only one that is on the network so there is no worry there in less I would really mess something up long-term where in that case I can just hardwire my parents computer into the Comcast gateway.

I have a Cisco 1800 series router. Will that work for this?

if so, all you’re saying is I need to set up my VLANs there and set up the trunk port to communicate with the switch?

would you have any information on the wireless LAN controller? Being that it is already on the same VLAN and network, shouldn’t I be able to ping it?

6. Pizzle07

Pizzle07 Thread Starter

I was able to setup the Cisco 1841 Router with a basic configuration. Set it to IP 10.0.0.2 /24 and am able to ping it. Enabled Telnet so I can putty versus the Console cable every time since I still need the console cable for the WLC. Not sure the next steps.

7. zx10guy

What ever VLANs you configure has to be set up on any switch you want to pass traffic through.

I don't have any information on where to get documentation on the wireless controller other than looking through Cisco's website and doing some online searches for resources.

I highly suggest you get the CCNA 2 volume study guide from Cisco Press.

8. Pizzle07

Pizzle07 Thread Starter

SO I need to make the VLAN's on the router then add them to the switch? I suppose I will need to link them as well?

If I have 10.0.0.1 /24 , what would my VLAN addresses be?

My understanding is I can use:

etc...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!