Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nook ereader file sharing

Solved 
1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  connie189 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have a Barnes & Noble account; I just purchased a book for my husband that he requested. (He doesn't have an account).

We haven't used our readers for several years; last time I used the reader was 4 years ago. I did take notes back then on how to get to my library and view purchased books. I am able to pull up the book. I installed the newest Nook app and am able to read the book on my computer.

I should be able to share the book/file with someone else's reader? I've been keying in search on B & N support site, but no reference to this question comes up. (So far).

Thank you for your help. :)

Connie

#3 ·
I do not know about B & N but know that Amazon has very restrictive (and kinda complicated) e-book sharing. If I remember correctly I can share a purchased book only once and for only a limited time.

At the least I suspect that for sharing the book your husband will need a B & N account.

#4 ·
Hi,

Back when we first purchased our readers, I ordered some books; again, one was for hubby. We managed to transfer the one file to his reader. So I didn't think it would be problematic, now. But I did do it with the help of an online rep.

B & N back then also had an information page dealing with how to get the readers set up. I don't see it now. That would help. It also looks like B & N had some problems with the devices in the last couple of years and has a chart listing models and what some of the (technical) problems were.

No customer assistance over the weekend. :censored:

#6 ·
Hubby and I just spent a whole day trying to troubleshoot this.

Still working on it. The plot thickens.

I don't like swapping devices because when we watch cable TV and recordings, he has a "trigger finger" and occasionally deletes movies, etc. that I haven't seen or saving. I don't want to get upset if he accidentally deletes a book I paid for. :cautious:

We did speak to two different B & N customer service reps. The first one said the problem was that the "reader wasn't on WIFI". My computer has been working all day, but I did have problems for the past three days when I turn it on in the morning. Messages come up that my computer wasn't connected and maybe a defective device. But after I turned my computer off and on again (in the morning) things seem to work for the rest of the day. My husband's computer (in another room) has been working okay. So he thought he would try to download the book (pdf file) from his computer. Doesn't work. Doesn't work from my computer to my reader, either. The book order isn't showing in my library.

What I've observed:

!) We both have the pdf file download for the book

2) His reader "updated" and he isn't sure how that happened since he just turned it on and nothing else. But the rep said his reader was updated. (One reason he thought he could download the file to the reader).

3) My reader didn't update, although I have the account.

4) Hubby tried opening a separate B & N account; the site said that he already had an account. He keeps a notebook with computer info (passwords, etc.) and said he didn't have a password or account noted.

5) I changed the password for what the site said was his account, although I kept seeing what looked like info from my account. Turns out I was changing my password on my account on his computer.

6) I tried "new account" for him, but my account/info kept showing up.

I think when I suggested he sign into my account from his computer, this messed things up further (as far as opening a separate account). We had something like this happen on Amazon's site when I had him send over a link to an item he wanted to purchase and I said I would order it for him.

I just saw on B & N site that they were involved with a lawsuit with Apple and had a class action settlement a couple of years ago. Not sure if this affected service or not.

There are no clear and obvious instruction on how to get set up; rep on phone said to key into search for random info. That doesn't make sense to do with a product.

Is Amazon's Kindle just as bad? I am about ready to chuck this to the curb...

#9 ·
After being told that I couldn't loan a book to my husband's reader by three B & N reps, I found the following info on the B&N site (under NOOK HELP):

About B&N's LendMe Feature
With Barnes & Noble's LendMe feature, you can share lendable NOOK Books with NOOK Friends or anyone who has a Barnes & Noble account with a valid credit card number. After accepting the offer to lend, your friends and family can read the book on any NOOK device or NOOK Reading App. (Please note: NOOK Magazines and NOOK Newspapers cannot be lent or borrowed.)

You can lend books from your Barnes & Noble account on BN.com. Your BN.com NOOK Library collects all the NOOK Books that you have purchased, and qualified titles have a LendMe icon on the cover image. Not all books can be lent, though many can.

You can send a lending offer to any email address, but to accept the offer, the receiving person's email address must be associated with a BN.com account that has a valid credit card number saved. The account holder's credit card is not charged when he or she borrows a book from you.

++++++

The other thing, getting their website to fully function with all the other available features hinges on having a "valid and updated credit card" on file. Otherwise, you go nowhere.

The day after I bought the ebook on their site, when I tried to access other features, I kept getting the message that I needed a valid, updated card. I went to my payment options. I thought my card/info from the day before wasn't working, initially. I re-entered. Same problem. Today, I tried hitting the "update" button at the top right corner for the heck of it. None of my info had changed from the day when I paid for the ebook. Put hitting "update" did the trick and I got to use the whole website.

Better believe it that if you lend or send a book from your account to another user, they'd better have a valid "updated" card. Even if that means hitting "update" on the working card you already put in the day before.

RIDICULOUS!!

I don't want to comment on customer service at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.