1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Nord VPN

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Bobbin, Jan 3, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Bobbin

Bobbin Thread Starter

Just loaded Nord VPN on my desktop. As soon as I loaded programme my Thunderbird emails stopped sending or receiving (i.e. message cannot connect to server etc.). Couldn't find anywhere in VPN that might be blocking Thunderbird to allow access. As soon as you disconnect VPN email (Mozilla Thunderbird) works fine. Been onto Nord and tried all the different ports, proceeses without success. Telstra Bigpond is my service provider in Australia..could it be the service provider blocking emails when VPN connected. Searching the Web it would appear that a lot of people have same problem with VPN. Any help appreciated as I am seriously considering removing Nord VPN and getting a refund.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Since the issue happens with Nord, that would be the issue. VPN is basically another network it goes through without going through the normal route.

Who is your email provider?

3. Bobbin

Bobbin Thread Starter

Telstra.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    It's possible Telstra is blocking the connection from NordVPN, or NordVPN doesn't know how to get to the servers. Try this with both off and on VPN:

In Command Prompt, type NSLOOKUP SMTP.TELSTRA.COM and press enter. Let's see if you get an Non-authoritative answer like this: (ignore the Server: part, this is whatever your DNS server is)

upload_2019-1-8_13-3-59.png

5. Bobbin

Bobbin Thread Starter

Thanks very much for the advice. Prior to receiving your last response I took my PC into the shop that custom built it. They changed some things in Thunderbird settings (although they were the same things I had already tried) and somehow I can now send and receive emails. In the event that I have further problems I will keep handy your last bit of advice.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    hmm... not sure if Thunderbird has any settings that is specific to VPNs..

7. Bobbin

Bobbin Thread Starter

None specific to VPN was all to do with Password/security settings etc.

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    That doesn't make sense to me... I've been an ISP Technician for 5 years and in the IT field for 4x more... those settings in Thunderbird will make it work everywhere or nowhere. It won't care what network you are on. But as long as it works, I will leave it like that.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221324

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice