Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Normal CPU and MB temperatures?

2K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  madbadger 
#1 ·
I just ran my Asus probe (I'm using an Asus P4S333 MB) and I saw some strange things that made me a little concerned. Under the monitoring tab, under Power Fan, the status was blinking saying that the power fan was running below threshold. For the Chassis fan the same thing was happening.
I went to the BIOS and under both the headings it said N/A. Does this mean that I don't have either and have nothing to worry about?
My CPU temp is 40 c/ 104 f, and my MB is 28 c/ 82 F.
The CPU fan is running between 3026 (in Bios) to 3082 (now).
Does anyone know if these temps are normal and if they are why the Asus probe is giving me a hard time?
Thanks for the help.

#2 ·
These temps look fine to me...my Athlon 1.333ghz Athlon runs at 55C under load, 52C normal with a case temp of 28C.

If the speed readings in your BIOS for the two fans reads N/A, they may be plugged into power sockets on the mobo that don't have sensors attached...although I'm not sure which fan 'Power Fan' is refering to?

Best thing is to whip the side off your case. Look to see that your fans are running OK...not making any noise or visibly struggling to turn. If so, I don't think there is much to worry about really.

#4 ·
Well I am concerned about my Athlon XP!! It is running way too cool....the MB temp is at 25C and the CPU is at 40C :D

A good CPU fan and case makes all the difference and so does Arctic Silver.....HI HO SILVER.....nervermind.

#8 ·
WHY would an aluminum casse make the slightest bit of difference? It is the way the air flows through the case that makes the real difference. I have one fan in front that brings air in and two in the back of the case that exhaust warm air. Having a good balance of air pressure inside your case makes a difference. I also modified the front of the case so air is only coming in in one spot, the rest is sealed off. What kind of CPU fan do you have NoContact??

#9 ·
Because aluminium is 3 times more efficient than steel at transferring heat Rockn. As your case warms up, the quicker you can transfer that heat to the outside the better. You obviously know about airflow which, granted, is important too. I'm just reporting my experience when I swapped my tower case for a midi Aluminium case with just the standard two case fans that came with it.

#10 ·
Well aluminum will transfer heat to the air faster, but I am not sure it will make that big of a difference with a steel case that is well ventillated. The objective is to get the air inside the case temp inside to be the same as the ambient air temp outside and moving the air is the only way to accomplish that. Turn off your case fans and see how well the aluminum will help you then. I wonder if any OC web sites have done a comparrison??

#11 ·
Well I can hear the fan, feel it's output from the rear of the case and the case itself doesn't feel warm. But I don't think that I have any extra fans, I just have the CPU fan. I ordered the PC without any extra fans. But I've been experiencing low system resources lately and wondered if this could be what the deal is.

#12 ·
Nocontact...the only way you'll see how many case fans you have is by taking the side panel off and having a look really. Usually there is one case fan at the front and the exhaust fan from the power supply unit at the back. You may well have a second case fan on the back plate somewhere but that'll depend on the case. Your temps look OK so I shouldn't worry about it to much but you may want to take the side cover off and have a look just for your peace of mind :D

As to the low system resources, that is more likely due to lots of processes running in the background. To find that out, what you have running, hit CTRL-ALT-DEL once. You'll get the dialog box come up with a list of the processes running at that time. If your system came ready to go with the operating system already there, chances are it'll have plenty of stuff going on in the background that you don't really need.

As a first question, what operating system are you running? With Win98 you can go to Start-Run and type in msconfig and then OK. On the box that pops up, go to the Startup tab and that will have a list of things that are started up when you boot. The ticked ones are those which are started obviously. (Sorry if this is all old news to you. Not sure of your level of familiarity with these things :rolleyes: )

Tell us a bit more about your system and we can go from there.

#13 ·
See this is the thing, I've eliminated everything from the Start menu and my tray boots up with no icons in it. The only things that start are the necessary ones.
I'm running Win 98 SE on a P4 1.7 256 MB DDR.
I just find it hard to believe that by running a few browser windows, and outlook express that my resources are down around the high 50's low 60's.
I even disabled my AV from running in the background all the time to see if that helps.
Another things is that certain programs aren't closing (I just posted this problem in the OS section) but I don't know what's supposed to be normal. I talk to people who are running what I assumed to be systems that are not quite as strong as mine and they're telling me they're running 10-14 different tasks at one time. I don't think I could handle this and I wonder why.
As far as the case goes, if I open it I void the warranty.

#15 ·
ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme

See, nothing there. I ran a scandisk and defrag next week.'
I hate to sound like I don't appreciate the help, it's just that having done this stuff and seeing no improvement I'm just getting frustrated.

#16 ·
Ok...so you don't have much kicking off at bootup and you have very little open...

If you have a lot of system resources being sucked up and you don't have much running, the only other thing I can suggest, which I have picked up from other forums, is that some spyware can really cane your system. Do you run anything like Kazaa or other Peer to Peer music download stuff? Some of those progs in particular can shove stacks of spyware junk on your machine which all sits there in the background tracking your moves and eating into your system resources. This may also affect thing like program close-down.

You might like to download Ad Aware and SpyBot Search & Destroy which will clear any junk like that out of your system. I downloaded them a while back and was shocked by the crap it turned up. :eek:

PS - Just for your info, Windows 98 is pretty hopeless at memory management in general. It is basically not much good at re-claiming system memory after progs have been closed so you get a gradual leackage of system resources. It's one of the reasons why it's not very stable. I'm not suggesting running out and buying Win XP or anything...I run 98SE myself. Just for your info.

#17 ·
I tested the same thing, ran ad-aware and found a file that I deleted immediately. Didn't seem to change that much.
Is there any chance that my OS is faulty? Are there any updates maybe that could help this symptom?
And I've been using Kazaa lite which I hear is ok.

#18 ·
Nah...Win 98SE is not going to be faulty...well, any more than it was when was made by Microsoft :rolleyes:

Make sure you have the latest windows security updates etc though. Get to it via Windows Update at the top of your start menu.

Kazaa lite is spyware free supposedly...but it is just a hacked version of Kazza all the same. I use WinMX which is pretty good and spyware free.

What Virus software do you run as a matter of interest?

#19 ·
I was running PC-Cillin, it came with my MOBO, I don't have it running at startup anymore all the time, althought it does do a check for viruses when I re-boot. I'm just testing it without to see how it runs. My buddy is a programmer and he said he didn't always run one, and that you just need to be a little careful. I know it's not ideal but I want to see what the story is with these low resources. I just downloaded some Win 98 updates too.

#20 ·
Ah...I was just gonna say that if you run Norton, it is a bit of a bloaty piece of software and can be quite a system resource hog.

My system resources are currently running at 59% but then I have quite a lot of stuff running...AV software, firewall, winamp, Netscape and so on.

I'm sorta running out of ideas for you now....One thing I would say s hop on over to the PC Answers Forum . There are some very good people over there who may be able to give you some other stuff to try.

Just for a clear view of exactly what you have got running, go HERE and download and run StartupList 1.3.5. It creates a text doc with exactly what is running on your system at the time. Paste the contents back here and let us have a look.

#21 ·
Hi Nocontact

Don't worry 'bout your temps, they look fine to an Athlon XP user ;)

Seriously, an alu case makes no difference, your PCs parts are surrounded by air. Air is an excellent insulator, the best way to conduct heat away is to get some good thermal compound between that CPU & the heatsink, the case is so far away it really doesn't matter unless you have really lousy airflow, (get those fans turning). Oh and get a good third party cooler, volcano 7+ etc if you're really worried.

The programs running make no difference unless your CPU utilisation is 100% all the time

Have fun MB

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.