1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton 360 wants to restart computer

Discussion in 'General Security' started by pippa93, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pippa93

pippa93 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I am having problems with my norton 360 (which I do know is rubbish but is paid for so I might as well use it). It comes up with the message that I need to restart my computer due to the fact that it needs to remove spyware.cometcursor. This is very annoying and doesn't seem to go away even if I restart my computer. I presume this is a piece of spyware that isn't particulary dangerous, but Norton decides my computer is not secure due to this fact.
    Is there anything to do that will stop Norton going on about this?
    thanks
    pippa

I run windows xp with latest updates on a fujitsu siemens laptop.

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

3. pippa93

pippa93 Thread Starter

yes-this is the item that it is trying to remove. It seems to come up everytime I turn on my laptop, and doesn't seem to go away even if the suggested action by Norton (which is restarting the laptop) is followed. I don't think the item actually has a use on my laptop, so I would like to remove it if possible, but Norton doesn't seem to be able to remove it.
    thanks for replying
    pippa

4. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Symantec own site lists it as..
    "Spyware.CometCursor is an Internet Explorer Browser Helper Object. It installs a toolbar that has links to affiliate sites. It installs a search bar and logs usage statistics."
    http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2004-091615-0103-99&tabid=1

If it's not removing it, you will need to post a Hijack this log and one of our log experts will check.

I will ask one of the Moderators to move your post to the Malware and Hjt log forum.

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

If you go to add/remove programs, do you see comet curser there?

6. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Hi, Welcome to TSG!!

Click here to download HJTInstall.exe
    • Save HJTInstall.exe to your desktop.
    • Doubleclick on the HJTInstall.exe icon on your desktop.
    • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis .
    • Click on Install.
    • It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop.
    • Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
    • Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
    • Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
    • Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
    • DO NOT have Hijackthis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757004

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice