1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton activation problems

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by bonkers72, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bonkers72

bonkers72 Thread Starter

XP Home. Bought Norton Systemworks 2006 Std. addition. Loaded it AND reloaded it again. Everytime the computer starts up it asks me to activate. I cannot activate. It won't let me. I get to that screen and I can't click the next button. It's not highlighted. Here's what I've tried so far:

Been to Symantec's web site on this problem. Tried to run there tool that would activate all Nortons services. Won't work. I get an error: A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file: C:\Documents and settings\Gary Bobholz\Desktop\symaDataweb [1].msi

Tried to activate by phone by disconnecting the internet.......still won't let me get past the activation screen. The next button is NOT highlighted.

Deactivated windows firewall.

I can run the Live update so there must be a internet connection available.

Tried to contact Symantec............it's been over 48 hrs. no reply. I thought I could maybe get a quicker response from TSG..................Thanks, B-72

2. bonkers72

bonkers72 Thread Starter

Here is a log of Norton install. See attachment

Attached Files:

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Why is that file on the desktop? Are you not installing from a CD? I think there is some issue with the location of the .msi file. That's the impression I get from googling that particular error message.

http://www.google.com/search?client...om+the+file:&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Howver, here's what I would do -- make sure the old Symantec install is completely removed by running their removal program. Then get the Windows Installer Cleanup utility and try using it to cleanup any remaining entries for Symantec (and only that)

Then try the install again. If it still fails we can enable "verbose logging" and see if that tells us anything.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223300

4. bonkers72

bonkers72 Thread Starter

I am using the installation disk. The file {msi} on the desktop is nortons activate all services tool.
    I did use the Norton removal tool. Then installed the Windows Installer Cleanup utility. It had one item left in there from symantec, I deleted it. Re installed Norton. I can now run their tool, that I couldn't before, that is suppose activate all Nortons services that is suppose to help with activation problems {before I got the msi error when trying to run this tool } but still get stuck at the activation screen and can go no further. Please help me in enabling this verbose logging. Step by step instructions would be appreciated.

5. bonkers72

bonkers72 Thread Starter

F.Y.I.............I ran the event viewer again and I don't see anymore errors for that msi file. But I do see a warning that states: Windows saved user mouse\"my name" registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use. This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in eitherthe localservice or NetworkService account. Hope this info will help.

6. bonkers72

bonkers72 Thread Starter

Here is one other one that may spread some info out of the event viewer under "information" : The discription for Event ID {35} in Source {NSCSERVICE} cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the / AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this discription; see help and support for details. The following information is part of the event: Norton Protection Center Service.

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Install this and see if you still get that registry error.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...6D-8912-4E18-B570-42470E2F3582&displaylang=en

Also, I think you might want to try doing what you are doing from another User Account with Administrative rights. It may be possible to try the install in Safe Mode with Networking support -- but choose the built-in Admin account, rather than your normal one.

You may not be having an installer error now, if none is being generated --

But to enable verbose logging, run regedit and navigate to the installer key. See screenshot. Right click on the key and select new > string value.

Make the value name like you see in the screenshot.

Once you have tried an install search for the log in the User Account under which you did the install. Search for the string:

msi*.log

I'm not sure whether that last error is significant to the problem or how to resolve it if it is.

If you give me any logs to read, make them in zip form, not .rar

Attached Files:

8. bonkers72

bonkers72 Thread Starter

Very first thing I did today was use nortons removal tool to remove norton, again. Next I ran the uphclean tool. A box popped up, nothing was displayed, and then the box disappeared.
    As far as doing this....."Also, I think you might want to try doing what you are doing from another User Account with Administrative rights. It may be possible to try the install in Safe Mode with Networking support -- but choose the built-in Admin account, rather than your normal one." I am lost. I went to my user accounts and what is displayed is "my name" computer administrator and "Guest" Guest account is off. I know nothing about administrative rights, etc. Also in regards to the registry, when I get to that value name,{VDD} it's already set to what's listed in your screen shot. Now this is AFTER I removed norton too. If you could PLEASE give real basic directions for this problem which I greatly appreciate your time and patience.

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

****, I uploaded the wrong screenshot for you; I even thought I double checked it.

But first, while you could create a new User Accounts in User Accounts, with administrative rights -- I think this install can also be done in safe mode (not all installs can). You want to choose Safe Mode with Networking since evidently you need connectivity to complete it. Do NOT choose your normal acount -- select the built in Admin account so as to get out of any problems with the current User Account or its temp directories.

Now here is the correct screenshot for verbose logging.
    Remember that when you search for the log, you must search in the temp directory of the User Account in which you are doing the install.

To create the name, right click on the Installer key and select New String Value. Then make the Name logging and double click that and make the data value voicewarmup

It should look as posted.

Attached Files:

10. bonkers72

bonkers72 Thread Starter

So.......first thing I should do is get into safe mode, and install Norton from there.Then restart my computer. When should I do this verbose logging? After I load Norton and return to normal mode? What is the purpose of this verbose logging? What will it do for us? Thanks, B-72

11. bonkers72

bonkers72 Thread Starter

I just tried to load safe mode w/networking. Clicked on as "Administrator" then it said loading your personal settings............and that's as far as she will go, it's frozen at that point. Had to hit the reset button. The error that showed up on event viewer after this is..... "Windows cannot load the user's profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system. Detail - The system cannot find the file specified"

12. bonkers72

bonkers72 Thread Starter

Are we done?

13. bonkers72

bonkers72 Thread Starter

Thanks for trying.

14. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Get CCleaner. Uninstall NOrtON. Use CCleaners registry clean up utility. Try installing NOrtON again. If it won't install, get one of the free programs listed in the link here to get CCleaner.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=20

15. bonkers72

bonkers72 Thread Starter

Got ccleaner. Uninstalled norton. Used ccleaners registry cleanup. no go. Try again.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538823

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice