1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton and winsock

Discussion in 'General Security' started by rscassady, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rscassady

rscassady Thread Starter

i was told that norton antivirus wraps around winsock and causes your internet connection to run slower. Do you know anything about this?

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi Norton can use a lot of resourses and will use winsock as many programs do to handle input/output requests to access the net.
    Are you using or thinking of using Norton?

3. rscassady

rscassady Thread Starter

we are using it but my internet provider offers free security software and i was wondering if getting rid of Norton would speed up our connection to our internet provider, with a 512 dsl, this is the fastest i can get for my area at this time, although the people across the road have 1.5!! So anything i can do to speed it up would be great.

4. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi have you asked your internet provider to check your connection?
    Not a fan of using security software from an ISP provider..but that's just me.
    Many people love Norton I used it a long time ago.
    No way of knowing that if you removed Norton your systems connection would improve.
    But that would be my next move.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699572

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice