1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton Anti-Virus 2004 quirks

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ArtVandalay, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ArtVandalay

ArtVandalay Thread Starter

I am running NAV 2004 Professional on Windows XP Pro. Every 2 weeks or so (on average) not only do I find the Auto-Protect and automatic e-mail scanning features turned off, but I also cannot re-enable them. I inevitably find myself uninstalling/reinstalling the entire program, which is getting to be a pain.
    I can find no recurring reason behind this - sometimes it happens, apparently, as a result of running a registry cleaner or a PC diagnostic, other times, for no obvious reason.
    I was wondering if anyone else has this strange problem.

2. snooker

snooker

Hi.... I had the same problem with Norton Anti-Virus 2004 ... I found out it was because i added a new sound card ( sound Blaster )... Norton already knows about this problem ... Did you by chance just installed a new card ??? There seem to be a problem with Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS sound card and Norton ... I have try everything they ( Sound Blaster and Norton ) recommended and still couldn't fix the problem ... So i just ended up removing Norton and install this here below , its free for a year services

http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/

3. ArtVandalay

ArtVandalay Thread Starter

My sound card (Creative SB Live) is the one that came with my system.....I have looked for patterns and have yet to notice any - it just seems that the auto-protect features will randomly turn themselves off. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to go through the uninstall/reinstall routine every time.

The reason I even put up with this is that NAV 2004 (which I tried reluctantly) detected and removed a virus and a trojan horse that went undetected by McAfee, Panda, and PC-cillin. I have used Norton in the past and it usually led to performance degradation, although this is not the case now - just this annoyance with the auto-protection.

I will certainly look into the program from the link you provided (Thanks)

4. Ichimaniwin

Ichimaniwin

I'm also using Norton 2004 and occasionally have this problem. It seems to occur when my machine freezes and I can't get CTL+ALT+DEL to work so I end up shutting it down cold.
    I have tried restarting several times in a row but all to no avail....still no Norton.
    I have discovered that by reverting my harddrive to a point before this occurred, I can get Norton back to working. This may be worth a try rather than re-installing every time...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!