1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton Anti-Virus Nightmare -- paid and can't get product

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by cityish, Sep 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cityish

cityish Thread Starter

Hello,
    I just don't know where to go with this question. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

This morning I tried to renew my Norton anti-virus 2006 online, to upgrade to 2008. I entered credit card info but when I clicked "submit" there was an error message that indicated the transaction didn't go through.

I had to leave for work so I let it go. But this evening my bank confirms the $39.99 charge did go through. Yet the Norton window on my desktop is all red and scary and says "at risk, you need to renew, etc." Yet it also says my computer is secure and it runs scans when I click on that. (???)

I am completely confused. I don't know whether I have renewed or not. I never got a confirmation email or a product number. I tried doing the live chat support but the chat windows wouldn't load. Then I registered and created an account to post a question in the Norton forums, but it won't let me post a question. The question button is not activated or something.

I really just want my money back so I can get a different product. Does anyone know how to get hold of an actual live human being at Norton?

If I downloaded the product from the internet already -- then that means they won't give me a refund, right?

2. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

It doesn't matter. Contact Norton and explain your problem. Make sure you get the transaction number from your credit card. If they refuse to honor the purchase, dispute the charge.

Courtney

3. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    just my 2 cents. if u are able to get a refund from them or cancel the charge on the credit card dont have norton. no one recommends it.

4. Voodoo Thumb

Voodoo Thumb

I would second that opinion, lose Norton. AVG Anti Virus Home Edition is free, and the smart geeks at Virus Bulletin 100 say it's about as good as what you pay for. And, it's user friendly.
    In that vein, a clever fellow in these forums just turned me on to Spyware Doctor for free. Just google Google Pack. It's very easy to just download Spyware Doctor, if that's all you want. I was paying $30 annually for that utility, I love it, and it's well respected by people who know more about that stuff than I do.
    I know it's painful, but if necessary, just eat the $39, and lose Norton. I've heard that not even the guys at Norton use Norton.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/748828

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice