1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Norton Anti Virus

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by pecker1210, Jan 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pecker1210

pecker1210 Thread Starter

I am trying to install NIS 2005 onto somebody's Win 98 machine. I am going to use a NIS 2006 disc and use the activation code from the software they bought online (I would download the version they purchased but they are on 56K dial up and it would takes ages!!)

When I run the disc will it uninstall NIS 2002 which is already on the PC as part of the new installation?

Please advise...

Also when I run the disc can I choose to install 2005 and not 2006 or does it automatically know to install that due to the PC having Win 98?

again please advise....

2. williesbest2

williesbest2

I would recommend that you NOT install NIS 2005 on a Windows 98 computer. IMO Norton is a big research hog, that doesn't really do much. I would recommend that you download onto the computer:

* AVG Free or Antivir (not both)
    * Spybot Search and Destroy and/or Ad-Aware
    * Zonealarm free firewall or Kerio Personal Firewall (again, don't install both)
    * Spyware Blaster (Optional, but recommended)
    * MVPS Host File (Optional, but recommended)

3. williesbest2

williesbest2

I think you will have to use a 2005 version (you could burn them the 2005 version if you have a cd or dvd burner). You will have to uninstall the older version.

4. TOGG

TOGG

NIS 2005 will not work on 98 so, if you use a 2006 CD, it should automatically install the 2005 version.

Up to and including 2003, CD versions used to have an automatic uninstall routine to deal with earlier versions. I don't know if the later versions still have it so it might be an idea to use one of the Symantec tools or follow the manual uninstall instructions.

Have a look at the instructions for Rnav2003; http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!